Persona 3 FES Speedup
So I've been spending the past couple of hours attempting to tweek Persona 3 FES to run well on my computer and I just can't seem to get it to perform well

I'm using 0.9.8 PCSX2

I have...

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Xeon X3230 Quad Core @2.66 stock *can get it to 3.0 easy*
NVidia GeForce GTS450
4 Gigs of Ram

some times the game runs fine, but half of the time it bogs down to 30-50'ish which makes the game slow down and the music/sound effects play really slow

using a combo of Speed hacks I can speed the game up to be a constant 60FPS but it makes the EE% drop and the game will play like it's in slow motion *really smooth, but super slow*

I've tried different plug ins, setting the Custom resolution in the GSDX from very high to very low to native resolution and it doesn't seem to make any difference on the FPS

I've seen videos on youtube of people with much slower computers then mine playing it smooth as hell, so I've got to be doing something wrong, any advice?

Sponsored links

Quote:I've seen videos on youtube of people with much slower computers then mine playing it smooth as hell, so I've got to be doing something wrong, any advice?

While I don't know much about this game, I just want to make sure that you know that most of those videos are recorded with the included GSdx video recorder, which speeds up the gameplay footage up to full speed despite the speed you were playing at.
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
(07-10-2011, 03:58 AM)The GiB Wrote: So I've been spending the past couple of hours attempting to tweek Persona 3 FES to run well on my computer and I just can't seem to get it to perform well

I'm using 0.9.8 PCSX2

I have...

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Xeon X3230 Quad Core @2.66 stock *can get it to 3.0 easy*
NVidia GeForce GTS450
4 Gigs of Ram

some times the game runs fine, but half of the time it bogs down to 30-50'ish which makes the game slow down and the music/sound effects play really slow

using a combo of Speed hacks I can speed the game up to be a constant 60FPS but it makes the EE% drop and the game will play like it's in slow motion *really smooth, but super slow*

I've tried different plug ins, setting the Custom resolution in the GSDX from very high to very low to native resolution and it doesn't seem to make any difference on the FPS

I've seen videos on youtube of people with much slower computers then mine playing it smooth as hell, so I've got to be doing something wrong, any advice?

Get ur cpu to 3Ghz go; now about the fps the only fight where i have to use nativ resolution was against the roulette mob(frking anoying animation) try this hack setting: EE lvl to 2 Vu to 1(2 slowdonw the fps) activate the other five, and try changing the clamp modes in EE/iop and vu to none, hope this help u.

ps btw my specs r athlon x ii 3.6Ghz, ati 4770 and 4gb in ram, so the only big diference is the cpu clock.
If the sound is what bothers you most you could try using the "Async" synchronizing mode in SPU2-X.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(07-10-2011, 04:16 AM)MyDreamName Wrote: While I don't know much about this game, I just want to make sure that you know that most of those videos are recorded with the included GSdx video recorder, which speeds up the gameplay footage up to full speed despite the speed you were playing at.

ahh, good point I didn't even think of that...
(07-10-2011, 04:42 AM)ecchiless Wrote: Get ur cpu to 3Ghz go; now about the fps the only fight where i have to use nativ resolution was against the roulette mob(frking anoying animation) try this hack setting: EE lvl to 2 Vu to 1(2 slowdonw the fps) activate the other five, and try changing the clamp modes in EE/iop and vu to none, hope this help u.

ps btw my specs r athlon x ii 3.6Ghz, ati 4770 and 4gb in ram, so the only big diference is the cpu clock.

Wow, these options make the game smooth as hell, there was some weird graphical glitches once in a while, but totally worth the pay off.

and with the audio Async on it basically works better then on the PS2 which is what I was gunning for, thanks a ton guys Laugh
(07-10-2011, 06:28 AM)The GiB Wrote: Wow, these options make the game smooth as hell, there was some weird graphical glitches once in a while, but totally worth the pay off.

and with the audio Async on it basically works better then on the PS2 which is what I was gunning for, thanks a ton guys Laugh

Glitches? in the floor??? or in the dungeon?? if is the floor u can try supervu and the specific fix for persona, if is the dungeon then maybe u should try to deactive one of the five hacks, u know try and error >_>

ps again i hope this can help u o/
(07-10-2011, 09:43 AM)ecchiless Wrote: Glitches? in the floor??? or in the dungeon?? if is the floor u can try supervu and the specific fix for persona, if is the dungeon then maybe u should try to deactive one of the five hacks, u know try and error >_>

ps again i hope this can help u o/

it's seriously not that bad, maybe like once a min if that a texture or two will flicker.

honestly if the game is running at full speed, that is something I can totally put up with Laugh
(07-10-2011, 06:56 PM)The GiB Wrote: it's seriously not that bad, maybe like once a min if that a texture or two will flicker.

honestly if the game is running at full speed, that is something I can totally put up with Laugh

Have you gotten past the train boss yet? If you encounter slow down there just move on with it. That was the only area I encounter a tiny fps drop in.
Bro I am alos playing Persona 3 Fes in Pcsx2. So i will give u my setting to get super graphics with speed even in battle. It only slowdown by 10 frames in certain areas should not even be noticeable.

Well Video GS set renderer as Directx 10 . 3X native . tick allow 9 bits and texture filtering.

The speed hack have been attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

n00b alert! oh gawd :$... i apologize in advance for my dimness.

So speaking of trying to make Persona 3 FES run, I've just put a machine together (mostly from salvage) detailing thus:

Dell Optiplex GX280:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4(F) @ 3.00GHz
MoBo: Dell FoxConn something or other
RAM: 4Gb DDR2
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770 (new)
PSU: Extreme Power Plus 500W (new)
O/S: Windows XP SP3

The p4 apparently has 2 cores, and ive seen on forums that it should technically be enough muscle to run ps2 emu, but im getting huuuuge progressive lag... at the opening cine my fps drops to 40, and by the time i get to the school at the first playable scene its down to 20.

Is this likely an issue with my settings/plugins or is my system just too bottlenecked at the CPU? Its got a massive copper/aluminum heatsink and fan on it, and with the new PSU (the old one was 170W..!!!) i figure i could overclock it fairly easily but for the stock Dell BIOS which, so far as i know, wont allow me to (although i havent attempted a software-based approach yet).

Ive experiumented with several configs ive seen on the forums. Can anyone help? I just want to play P3FES again :'(