Persona 3 FES hangs
There was an update to fix that issue. The game would crash when you'd entered the Tracks club and when you were doing the Kendo Social Link lvl3. It was a problem with the ISO.

Sponsored links

what's "undub" ?

never heard that before Blink
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
International game publishers have the horrible habit of re-dubbing japanese games to english audio.
While some people are fine with this and some even want a english dub, there's a large crowd of people
that can't stand the sad results of this.
Unfortunately those often can not opt out of the english dub and have to endure it the whole game.

So it became trend that every game that got the dub treatment gets an "un-dub" shortly after release Smile
A smart person takes the international version, removes all the english dubbing and replaces it with the
original voiceovers from the japanese game disk.
The resulting game is then called an "Undub".

Hope this nice (and unbiased) explanation helps Tongue2

I started playing persona 3 fes yesterday for the first time and i have to say i'm very pleased with the english dubbing.

and imho you can connect better to characters if you can actually understand what they are saying Ninja

its not that japanese isnt a nice language, it just sounds weird if you cant understand a single word. and all the women's voices are so squeaky Ninja

thanks for explaining.
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
I understand spoken Japanese, so maybe I'm biased, but most games are horribly dubbed. Persona 3/4 is an exception (reason why it was so popular in the US/EU, its not just the gameplay/plot, the dubbing was welcomed too). The Japanese follows a different bylaw when voice acting. You'll almost never hear the tones used in games/animes irl in Japan (unless the girl/guy was trying to be cute or something). They also speak quiet fast (really fast). That's just based on my observation from watching interviews of Japanese voice actors.

Now back ontopic: I believe it is full legal to download an undubbed version of the game you already own. As you already own the game, but then again, people can argue you have to own both the English version as well as the Japanese version to have full rights to the undubbed version (mix of 2);o
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-15-2010, 11:02 AM)frosty5689 Wrote: Now back ontopic: I believe it is full legal to download an undubbed version of the game you already own. As you already own the game, but then again, people can argue you have to own both the English version as well as the Japanese version to have full rights to the undubbed version (mix of 2);o

No... it's even more illegal... first you're downloading the game, that's a nono. Second as you say you'd have to own both the english and jap versions to do the undub yourself as you're taking the voices from one game and applying them to the other.

And since when was the topic about the legality of undubs?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-15-2010, 10:12 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote:
(09-15-2010, 11:02 AM)frosty5689 Wrote: Now back ontopic: I believe it is full legal to download an undubbed version of the game you already own. As you already own the game, but then again, people can argue you have to own both the English version as well as the Japanese version to have full rights to the undubbed version (mix of 2);o

No... it's even more illegal... first you're downloading the game, that's a nono. Second as you say you'd have to own both the english and jap versions to do the undub yourself as you're taking the voices from one game and applying them to the other.

And since when was the topic about the legality of undubs?
Most people think of downloading something they already own as legal. I'm just sharing an opinion.Ohmy
(09-14-2010, 01:07 AM)Cyphox Wrote: I started playing persona 3 fes yesterday for the first time and i have to say i'm very pleased with the english dubbing.

and imho you can connect better to characters if you can actually understand what they are saying Ninja

its not that japanese isnt a nice language, it just sounds weird if you cant understand a single word. and all the women's voices are so squeaky Ninja

thanks for explaining.

Hehe, yea Tongue2
Nearly all people complaining about this have some knowledge of Japanese culture.
If you've watched your share of anime or played enough Japanese games, you've picked up the language.
It's one of the easier to understand languages around.

The big problem then is that Japanese mimics and gestures are so vastly different from English that it is nearly impossible to convey them in a dub.
That's one reason for the girls in English dubs sounding so exaggerated, fake and out of character.
Only very careful (and expensive) dubbing (often with changes to the animation!) manages to sound convincing enough that you (I Tongue2) can feel with the characters.
See FF10 for an example Wink

Edit:
And yeah, sorry for off topic. Of course any undub is illegal unless you own both disks and apply the undub patch yourself.
i think i'll say for the record that i personally hate US dubbing
i hate the american accents
i hate the mangled pronounciation of japanese names
i hate the (depending on which game or dubbed anime) exaggerated and fake 'acting' or the 'actors' sounding like they're bored and underpaid and just reading from a script

I'll also add that I can understand Japanese well enough to get through untranslated anime/manga/games with very little difficulty

and also, as long as you have an english language version and a japanese version of a game, a lot of the time undubs aren't really that hard to make as long as you're willing to take some time over it
( i have self made undubs for Ar Tonelico 1 + 2, Mana Khemia, Atelier Iris 1+2, Persona 3 FES and Persona 4)
Processor: Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB Dual Channel DDR3 PC 12800
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
Graphics: 2x Radeon HD 3870
(09-17-2010, 03:50 PM)Infel Wrote: i think i'll say for the record that i personally hate US dubbing
i hate the american accents
i hate the mangled pronounciation of japanese names
i hate the (depending on which game or dubbed anime) exaggerated and fake 'acting' or the 'actors' sounding like they're bored and underpaid and just reading from a script

I'll also add that I can understand Japanese well enough to get through untranslated anime/manga/games with very little difficulty

and also, as long as you have an english language version and a japanese version of a game, a lot of the time undubs aren't really that hard to make as long as you're willing to take some time over it
( i have self made undubs for Ar Tonelico 1 + 2, Mana Khemia, Atelier Iris 1+2, Persona 3 FES and Persona 4)
Except Mana Khemia gives you the option to change the language into Japanese and if I remember correctly, Atelier Iris 1,2,3 also gives that option coming from the same company.