Persona 3 and 4 FMV FPS Drops
Hi everyone,

So, recently i have gotten a new Laptop, it's not exactly great but i thought it was good enough (My OG Laptop had literally Windows Vista) and i wanted to download PCSX2 to play Persona 3 and 4, but there have been some problems with these two games (One of them doesn't happen that much anymore and the other one is the purpose of this post) When i started testing Persona 3 FPS, almost everything went well... but the FMVs, that's where the problem started, everytime a cutscene appears in P3 or P4, it suffers from fps drops out of nowhere until you get to the gameplay again, it's kinda annoying and ruins a bit the gameplay experience at least for me, it also suffered from fps drops when entering new locations in for example the School or when talking to more than two people, but they were really tiny fps drops and got almost erradicated completely via using the Number 3. Preset that supposedly help Quad-Core processors (This Laptop has that, and no, i haven't touched any other config yet, it's just the preset) but even with that fix the problem is still there, the FMVs still suffers from FPS drops out of nowhere, they are not that big however, maybe taking like 95% or sometimese even 85% of the speed, and makes the sound goes weird and all, i tried searching for ways to remove it but i'm starting to think this Laptop is still not good enough to run PCSX2 Sad please help!

Additional Info:

PCSX2 Version: 1.5.0-dev-3013-gd7fd3d764

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Graphics: AMD Radeon™ Vega 3 Graphics

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (4 CPUs), 2.5 GHz

Ram: 8 GB

(Two things, yeah, i know this New laptop it's not good enough for PCSX2 but still, i really wanna play this games, and second, i'm sorry if i wrote anything wrong or something like that, my main language is not English after all)

Thanks!

Sponsored links

Your cpu is close to the recommended single threaded performance for most 3d games so slowdowns can be expected
Are you using any non default settings in pcsx2\gsdx
What is the EE and GS percentage at the game window title bar while this happens

By cut scene,do you mean a video or normal cut scene
(03-23-2019, 03:46 PM)vsub Wrote: Your cpu is close to the recommended single threaded performance for most 3d games so slowdowns can be expected
Are you using any non default settings in pcsx2\gsdx
What is the EE and GS percentage at the game window title bar while this happens

By cut scene,do you mean a video or normal cut scene

Not really, i haven't touched any non-default options so far and only changed the preset to fix some of the problems with the tiny fps drops on some parts of the game... so i guess only that, but it stills counts like default right? After all it is a preset, but i could pass screenshots of it anyways if necessary.

About the percentages, well EE goes from like 45 to 66 or something, it constantly changes but it goes around those percentages, some times going a bit lower than 45 but not that much, and GS it's lower (although i dont know what do they mean really) like 4 to almost 10 or something like that, no big numbers definitely... also idk why but i just tested the fmvs again and they worked 100% well, like wth, maybe it's just a random issue that happens out of nowhere..?

A video, for example the intro (or opening) to P3 FES or P4, that kind of cutscenes, an FMV basically, cause a normal cutscene that it's going on the actual game works pretty well most of the time.
Maybe some power saving option kicked in or the cpu underclock inself to reduce the temps.

I have seen how windows don't increase the cpu\gpu clock speed properly and some slowdowns happens because the cpu\gpu clock is too low.
(03-23-2019, 04:13 PM)vsub Wrote: Maybe some power saving option kicked in or the cpu underclock inself to reduce the temps.

I have seen how windows don't increase the cpu\gpu clock speed properly and some slowdowns happens because the cpu\gpu clock is too low.

Uh, that's weird... but that's maybe why this Laptop never feels hot, my Old Laptop after using it for a while would almost burn from the Temperatutre... but this one doesn't do that, and may be because of that.

Well, i guess i don't have much choice then. I'll try to get a better Laptop someday, thanks for the answer still!
triy disabling amd cool n' quiet in the bios
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-23-2019, 04:34 PM)jesalvein Wrote: triy disabling amd cool n' quiet in the bios

Sorry for sounding like a noob, but, how do i exactly do that? I don't really get it...
Are slow downs stay for more than 2-3 seconds or they stay until some part of the cut scene is over(or all of it)
If it's just for few seconds,then try changing the power plan to High Performance(type change power plan in the start menu)

I don't think it's needed to disable that feature from the bios,windows have a way to imitate disabling it.
Check the cpu clock speed in the task manager when you get those slow downs.

And just to be sure,are you playing from the disk or image because if it is from the disk,then those slow downs are to be expected
(03-23-2019, 06:14 PM)vsub Wrote: Are slow downs stay for more than 2-3 seconds or they stay until some part of the cut scene is over(or all of it)
If it's just for few seconds,then try changing the power plan to High Performance(type change power plan in the start menu)

I don't think it's needed to disable that feature from the bios,windows have a way to imitate disabling it.
Check the cpu clock speed in the task manager when you get those slow downs.

And just to be sure,are you playing from the disk or image because if it is from the disk,then those slow downs are to be expected

They actually stay for the shortest time ever, maybe like a second or so, as previously said they doesn't last for that long and are not that big but still noticeable.

Well, i'm playing using an image, yes, not an actual disk.
(03-23-2019, 06:18 PM)joshynorth Wrote: They actually stay for the shortest time ever, maybe like a second or so, as previously said they doesn't last for that long and are not that big but still noticeable.

Well, i'm playing using an image, yes, not an actual disk.

Srry they are in spanish, but that's what i got. Also, i did the High Performance thingy but still :/ The weird part is as i said before it drops out of nowhere and sometimes not even showing less than 99% but still hearing a bit distorted when happening