Persona 3 issue when i save the game
Sad 
Hello 
I am playing Persona 3 FES (ISO) on PCSX2 1.6 and the game itself runs pretty smooth on any "renderer" settings (100% speed most of the time). 
I got a Dell laptop with Intel Core i7-10750H and Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070. My monitor refresh rate is 144Hz.

My issue is that (ONLY!) when i save the game and the savefile is being written, the game starts to lag with obvious heavy audio clipping (like when your CPU is bottlenecking), but the PCSX2 speed remains around 100% and CPU clocks do not drastically change. What actually does change is GPU's usage. It starts spiking. And I also noticed that "padman: *** VBLANK OVERLAP ***" appears every time I save the game.

I've already tried lots of solutions but none of them helped. I've tried setting max performance in Nvidia Control Panel for PCSX2, I've tried portable version of PCSX2, I've even tried vanilla Persona 3 ISO and the issue stayed unsolved.

I would be grateful if someone explains me what this VBLANK OVERLAP thing is and what can I do to get rid of the lags. Because I want to play this game so much and not sure if such emulation behavior would somehow harm my laptop.

.txt   log.txt (Size: 7,33 KB / Downloads: 65)

Sponsored links

UPD:
Well, I've tried Persona 4 and it has the same issue while saving the game.
So It might be a general problem with PCSX2 or even with my computer. I dont really know but this VBLANK OVERLAP message every time I save is bothering me. It is definetly somehow related to the lag.
Hmm.. try to press f9 (for the software rendering mode) before to save.
do you have other PS2 games that you could test ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-12-2022, 06:53 PM)jesalvein Wrote: do you have other PS2 games that you could test ?

I've been able to do a little test with Shadow Hearts and there were no audio clipping issue. But this game generates lots of VBLANK OVERLAP and SSD related messages 
.txt   log_1.txt (Size: 7,12 KB / Downloads: 62) which is also pretty weird. Wish I could try all of these games on another PC but I have no such opportunity.