Persona 4 + Direct3D9
Hey,

I'm using PCSX2 1.4.0 on Windows 10, running through Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro from 2012. I have posted my specs below.

Here is the issue I am having: When running Persona 4 using Direct3D11 (Hardware), I do not notice any graphical glitches but it does not perform as well as I would like. (I realize I have an old laptop - just working with what I have.) When using Direct3D9 (Hardware), though, I am able to easily run Persona 4 with 2x Native resolution - HOWEVER, I experience some graphical "glitches." As you can see from the pictures I will post, if I have Logarithmic Z enabled, I have issues with shadows (such as no player shadow except on certain objects like pillows on the floor) and with textures (?) such as with the floor in the bedroom. If I turn Logarithmic Z OFF, Both of those issues are fixed, but I experience some weird polygon overlapping (at least that's what it seems like to me) on my character, which I have also posted a picture of.

I would love to be able to run Persona 4 with D3D9 because of the performance increase, but the visual glitches are too distracting to me. Does anyone have any idea of a fix for these issue(s)? Running in Software mode is way too slow and looks nowhere near as good.

I am using the gsdx32-avx 1.0.0 plugin, but the issue persists across all of the other plugins as well.

My Specs:
MacBook Pro 2012 13-inch (running Windows 10 via Bootcamp)
i5-3210m 2.5ghz
4gb ram
Intel HD4000

Pictures:
Logarithmic Z ON

Logarithmic Z ON

Logarithmic Z OFF (look at his shirt)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Will

Sponsored links

Did you try using OpenGL or DirectX 11? You should be using one of those two renderers if possible Wink
since D3D9 is deprecated, no. I don't think you'll have a fix for this.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
CK1: Yes, Direct3D11 is considerably slower than D3D9. I have tried OpenGL, but no matter what I try, PCSX2 freezes up just as the title screen for Persona 4 starts up, after the intro video. Have not tried OpenGL with other games.

jesalvein: I had no idea D3D9 was deprecated - I guess that explains it. Thank you.

Any ideas about OpenGL freezing? I'm about to try the latest 1.5.0 version of pcsx2 and see if that works.

Will
With PCSX2 1.5.0, when I try to run Persona 4 with OpenGL I get an error message:
"GS plugin failed to open. Your computer may have insufficient resources, or incompatible hardware/drivers."

I may have to just stick with D3D11 then.

Will
The Intel 4000 is your downfall, you really need a proper graphics card.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

refraction: Thanks - I'll try to deal with the performance using D3D11, and if I can't I'll just wait until I have a more powerful computer with a proper graphics card.

Thank you all for the help!

Will
Quote:Intel HD4000

1.5 requires OpenGL 4.3 minimum to run on hardware mode and 4.0 software.
You can however use OpenGL on v1.4

The reason D3D9 is faster for you is probably because it's the least accurate among all the renders.