Persona 4, can't get playable config
I know there are a bunch of Persona 4 threads, but none of them have helped me get the game running smoothly despite trying many settings. So I figure I should ask what I should be doing given my particular specs.

PCSX2 1.1.0.0 (gregory PPA)
Intel i5 750(2.66GHz), 4 cores
Nvidia 560 ti (nvidia-current version: 304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1)
Ubuntu 12.10 64bit
4GB ram

I am trying to play the (raw) JPN ISO of the game. The only BIOS that boots anything but a gray screen is USA 2.2, and the only plugin setting that the graphics aren't totally messed up by the opening menu is by using GSdx in software mode, even without any speed hacks etc. ZZOGL freezes pcsx2 completely on boot loading only a gray screen.

Using GSDx software mode with 3 extra rendering threads, minimal settings and default speedhacks, the game appears to correctly render but frequently drops to 40/30 fps in intensive areas, and uses ~70% system cpu.

I have a decent graphics card- is there no way I can use that? I've seen video's online of people with worse hw with much better graphics settings and fps, although many were on windows.

Please advise..?

Sponsored links

you know you should use the hardware mode rather than software mode because if you use SW rather than HW then it wouldn't be using you're gpu and you should use the default speed hacks ( it won't damage anything)
(10-24-2012, 03:04 PM)devilscorner Wrote: you know you should use the hardware mode rather than software mode because if you use SW rather than HW then it wouldn't be using you're gpu and you should use the default speed hacks ( it won't damage anything)

Using:

GSdx hardware: Auto Interlacing, Native, Normal Texture Filtering, +Shade boost, +Alpha correction
EE/IOP: Recompiler, Recompiler, Chop/Zero, None
VUs: microVU Recompiler, microVU Recompiler, Chop/Zero, None
No speedhacks (or with defaults)

The initial "blocks" PS2 booting logo scene is all messed up layers/different colors, The "Playstation 2" logo comes in okay, then the game menu comes in totally messed up. I can't seem to get hardware GSdx working with any settings.

I'm pretty sure my 560 ti card is fine because I've been playing Wine/Counterstrike on it for the past couple hours okay. I just swapped out my 9500GT and got the expected 30fps->200fps there. I also had similar results trying hardware mode with the 9500GT card.
I think the problem is your OS. Persona 4 runs at full speed using GSdx with my i5-750 and HD 5770 on Windows 7.
As a dual-booter (Ubuntu Linux and Win 7), there is a big difference in performace in Windows vs Linux, although Linux is slowly closing the gap. HW mode in Linux is still not working right so essentially it's SW mode only for now in Linux. And with SW mode comes no "muscle" from the GPU to support the CPU. 3D games will therefore still struggle in certain demanding areas of games. Speedhacks are also hit and miss, although VU cycle stealing is a little bit more reliable. I have tried PCSX2 in Wine myself. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it works. Plus computer games is mainly GPU driven, emulation is mainly CPU driven, hence the big difference in performance between PC games and PCSX2.
I can believe there is a difference, but it seems others have gotten hardware mode to work on linux. Isn't that what ZZOgl does?

This vid clearly shows the config for ZZOgl (at mark 0:47): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3tjAU8z8S4

Is there some way I can debug getting ZZOgl to work? Right now it just totally freezes on boot.
It seems to start on my side (just go into to name selection).
Quote:ZZOGL freezes pcsx2 completely on boot loading only a gray screen
That a segmentation fault. Look here the explanation to attach the debugger (when it is frozen) http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/wiki/GDB
And please generate me a backtrace. Note that you will need a debug or devel version of zzogl.
(10-26-2012, 08:13 PM)gregory Wrote: It seems to start on my side (just go into to name selection).
That a segmentation fault. Look here the explanation to attach the debugger (when it is frozen) http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/wiki/GDB
And please generate me a backtrace. Note that you will need a debug or devel version of zzogl.

Sorry for the long delay, I missed the notification email and have since whitelisted the site. In any case I found this newer thread which seems to be the same issue I was hitting:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-pcsx2-nou...w-it-isn-t

Changing to one of the earlier versions listed allowed me to use ZZogl successfully. Thanks for the fix!