Persona 4 frame issues
I downloaded the last pcsx2 version after a long time I haven't used it, and decided to play Persona 4 again.

Last time my experience was perfect, but for some reason now I'm getting massive slowdowns if I keep the frame limiter on.

My specs:
E8400, 4GB RAM, radeon hd 6950

pcsx2 config:

running persona 4 with widescreen patch
rendered at 1680x1050, hardware mode dx11, fxaa activated (disabling it has no effect on framerate, texture filtering greyed out, everything else disabled on gdsx.

I'm using the superVU recompiler and the vu clip flag hack, but I also tried to use the recommended recompiler without that hack and nothing changes. EE at 2 and VCC at 2. Recommended settings everywhere else.

Funny thing is, the slowdown happens only during certain scenes, with no relation to how much is displayed. If there is a slowdown, if I disable the framelimiter it works perfectly, but when the game comes back to normal everything is sped up excessively. Even during slowdowns, though, I always have 60fps constantly. I'm not sure what's the issue here.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: setting both speedhacks at 0 solved the problems and I still have 60fps constantly, at least for now. I will edit this if anything changes.

Sponsored links

your CPU is on the slow side for PCSX2, it is really recommended to have a quad core @ 3 ghz, but you can try to o/c your cpu atleast. Also instead of using so much hacks try putting everything on default and start from native and work your way up from native to 2x/3x and see which one gives you the most speed.
(07-23-2014, 01:40 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: your CPU is on the slow side for PCSX2, it is really recommended to have a quad core @ 3 ghz, but you can try to o/c your cpu atleast. Also instead of using so much hacks try putting everything on default and start from native and work your way up from native to 2x/3x and see which one gives you the most speed.

Thank you for your reply, but everything is going smoothly since I've disabled the speedhacks. I'm also rendering at my native screen resolution, 1680x1050, everything is going flawlessly.

Only issue is a very light flickering in the fridge shadow in Dojima's house, only when I move, but except that the game is running even better than the last time I played it.
hmm flickering with shadows, Darn I forgot how to fix that, but always try to use as less Speedhacks as possible, since with most games it breaks more then helping. The shadow flickering is mostly due to running the game on hardware mode, and I thought I've read somewhere that playing with skipdraw, don't hold me to this though, cause I'm not 100% sure if it will fix, but I understand it's annoying, but it's atleast not gamebreaking.
(07-23-2014, 02:50 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: hmm flickering with shadows, Darn I forgot how to fix that, but always try to use as less Speedhacks as possible, since with most games it breaks more then helping. The shadow flickering is mostly due to running the game on hardware mode, and I thought I've read somewhere that playing with skipdraw, don't hold me to this though, cause I'm not 100% sure if it will fix, but I understand it's annoying, but it's atleast not gamebreaking.

Another issue: shadows during fights look really weird, and my character during the first fights has 999hp/sp. Why is that?
EDIT: I had cheats enabled and didn't realize that. That solved the hp issues.
I've played P4 a crapload a couple years ago through PCSX2, but since I bought the PSVita for P4 Golden I don't need to play it through PCSX2 anymore. I believe that the US pnach of P4 is standard in the Cheats folder (DEDxxxxx.pnach) thus if you turn the cheats on it might've loaded that, but indeed it's quite easy to turn that off. I'm afraid that shadow problems I seriously forgot how to fix it, guess that you might need to wait for someone who does know how to fix. I only responded to see what you might've tried. Also are you using a normal version or a SVN Version which you can find here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
(07-23-2014, 03:16 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: I've played P4 a crapload a couple years ago through PCSX2, but since I bought the PSVita for P4 Golden I don't need to play it through PCSX2 anymore. I believe that the US pnach of P4 is standard in the Cheats folder (DEDxxxxx.pnach) thus if you turn the cheats on it might've loaded that, but indeed it's quite easy to turn that off. I'm afraid that shadow problems I seriously forgot how to fix it, guess that you might need to wait for someone who does know how to fix. I only responded to see what you might've tried. Also are you using a normal version or a SVN Version which you can find here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

I turned that on because I followed an old tutorial explaining how to use widescreen patches, until I realized that there is a separate function now for that.
And I'm currently using the last stable installer version. Is there any way I can use a svn over the installer version?
yup they're just archives which you can extract and copy over to your installed folder, or just extract it to a seperate folder so you have the stable version and a subversion Smile
(07-23-2014, 03:37 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: yup they're just archives which you can extract and copy over to your installed folder, or just extract it to a seperate folder so you have the stable version and a subversion Smile

Thank you a lot, I'll try that tomorrow and let you know Smile
No problem Smile