Persona 4 issue
Ok so I am having a weird problem in Persona 4.

The game worked perfectly up until I rescued Rise after defeating shadow teddie. after this point, certain enemies I fight and the golden hands will give me a drastic slowdown in FPS and it doesnt make sense because even when I run along the floodplain or the shopping district now I get an FPS drop when that never happened before.

Also when it is raining now, no matter where I am I get an FPS drop and this only started happening after I rescued Rise. I started a new game and it was working fine again so I know that it has something to do with getting to that point in the game.
Has anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: It also slows down now when I go into the weapon shop by about 10 FPS so I take a good hit from going there as well. Full speed is 50 FPS for me on this game.

Any Ideas? I am using the latest build of PCSX2 from the website.

Sponsored links

anyone?
Please don't be impatient, sometimes it can take over 24 hours to get a reply, depending on who's about and who has the game or knows the answer to your problem.

Firstly i need to know your system specs, also does it improve if you press F9 during the slow scene or does it get worse?
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif?ex=65f40671&is=65e19171...551a681a&=]

(11-14-2013, 12:39 AM)refraction Wrote: Please don't be impatient, sometimes it can take over 24 hours to get a reply, depending on who's about and who has the game or knows the answer to your problem.

Firstly i need to know your system specs, also does it improve if you press F9 during the slow scene or does it get worse?

No software mode cuts the FPS by at least half when I try it and if i try to switch back to hardware, it crashes the emulator.

I have an Intel core duo T8300 2.4 ghz
AMD Radeon HD 2600 Video Card
4 gigs DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64x
Your PC is quite slow. you could try a few speedhacks, MTVU (under speedhacks) might help if you're lucky. Also make sure GSDX has the "Native" box ticked.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif?ex=65f40671&is=65e19171...551a681a&=]

Are you using savestates? Remember, savestates save EVERYTHING. Maybe some manner of glitchiness got induced into a savestate. Try to load a memory card save instead, if you are using states.

Also I can't tell from your specs, but are you using a laptop? If so, make sure your windows power plan is set to high performance, and you are running whilst plugged in.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-14-2013, 01:36 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Are you using savestates? Remember, savestates save EVERYTHING. Maybe some manner of glitchiness got induced into a savestate. Try to load a memory card save instead, if you are using states.

Also I can't tell from your specs, but are you using a laptop? If so, make sure your windows power plan is set to high performance, and you are running whilst plugged in.

Yes it is a laptop

and also my friend is trying this game as well and he is having the same issue and he has a desktop built for gaming that he bought and built like 2 months ago for 1100 and he is getting the exact same frame drops and everything.

My laptop is running on high performance and what is weird is that I can run all Xenosaga, Dragonball, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy and Fatal Frame games at full speed so I have no idea why this is giving such a problem
(11-14-2013, 02:50 AM)echoesofmercy Wrote: Yes it is a laptop

and also my friend is trying this game as well and he is having the same issue and he has a desktop built for gaming that he bought and built like 2 months ago for 1100 and he is getting the exact same frame drops and everything.

My laptop is running on high performance and what is weird is that I can run all Xenosaga, Dragonball, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy and Fatal Frame games at full speed so I have no idea why this is giving such a problem

I have the NTSC Persona 4 and don't have this problem. Here are some screenshots of areas you said were affected, during the rain. Turbo is on, so it's showing 120fps. Note these are both after the point where you mentioned the issue starting(these shots are during Naoto's part)

[Image: no1_zps3f83f15b.png]
[Image: no2_zpscbf59dc2.png]

So the most likely issues are:

An issue with the PAL version of the game(but P4 is popular and I think it would be well known if there was such an issue)

or

An issue with your settings.

Since you said your friend's expensive desktop has the same issue, I wondered if he is using the same save as you?

My desktop is nice, but didn't cost even half that and doesn't have the issue, so your friend's computer should not have problems.

Can you please post all of your settings? Either screenshots or type them in. Like for Speedhacks, EE/IOP, VUs, GS, Game fixes, plugins in use. Also the configuration in config->graphics->plugin settings.

And lastly, if you want to post your save here I will load it up on my PC and see if there is slowdown. I know yours is PAL and mine NTSC, but I can convert the save in hex editor(I've done this before).

Edit: Also, during your slowdown, what do EE and GS% say in the window's title bar?
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-14-2013, 06:20 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I have the NTSC Persona 4 and don't have this problem. Here are some screenshots of areas you said were affected, during the rain. Turbo is on, so it's showing 120fps. Note these are both after the point where you mentioned the issue starting(these shots are during Naoto's part)

[Image: no1_zps3f83f15b.png]
[Image: no2_zpscbf59dc2.png]

So the most likely issues are:

An issue with the PAL version of the game(but P4 is popular and I think it would be well known if there was such an issue)

or

An issue with your settings.

Since you said your friend's expensive desktop has the same issue, I wondered if he is using the same save as you?

My desktop is nice, but didn't cost even half that and doesn't have the issue, so your friend's computer should not have problems.

Can you please post all of your settings? Either screenshots or type them in. Like for Speedhacks, EE/IOP, VUs, GS, Game fixes, plugins in use. Also the configuration in config->graphics->plugin settings.

And lastly, if you want to post your save here I will load it up on my PC and see if there is slowdown. I know yours is PAL and mine NTSC, but I can convert the save in hex editor(I've done this before).

Edit: Also, during your slowdown, what do EE and GS% say in the window's title bar?

I have both EE/IOP set to normal and VU set to normal
speedhacks I have EE set to 2 and VU set to 1 with all hacks at the bottom checked except fast DVD
I am using DX10 Hardware in native resolution with 8 bit textures enables and skipdraw is set to 1
I am running the game using Linuz plugin instead of using the CDVD function as I have found that most games run smoother like this
(11-14-2013, 07:19 AM)echoesofmercy Wrote: I have both EE/IOP set to normal and VU set to normal
speedhacks I have EE set to 2 and VU set to 1 with all hacks at the bottom checked except fast DVD
I am using DX10 Hardware in native resolution with 8 bit textures enables and skipdraw is set to 1
I am running the game using Linuz plugin instead of using the CDVD function as I have found that most games run smoother like this

Have you tried unchecking 8 bit textures? Depending on the game, it can be faster on, or faster off.

What are you using skipdraw=1 for in this case?(just curious, this shouldn't really be causing you any slowdown)

And you never answered my question if you were using save states or memory cards.

Your CPU is quite slow for PCSX2, but like you said, it was running okay for you before. I have one thought maybe why this is happening. You know how in Persona 4 as the game advances, the seasons change right? Furthermore, you said you also had more problems while raining. So maybe it has something to do with the time of year it is in game. Some effect that is being rendered at that time of year and not others, that is causing your slowdown.

Also, again, what is the GS and EE% saying in the title bar of the game window? Depending on which one of these is close to 100%, it might help us figure out what is slowing you down.