Persona 4 slow down during Dialogue, Rain, and Fog
As the title says, my FPS slows down during dialogue (THough not the opening Dialogue with Igor.) It drops to about 45, and sounds like they are talking to me like I'm an idiot...

Anyway, system specs.

Processor: AMD Anthelon II X 4 640 Processor (3.0GHZ)
4G DDR3 System Memory
ATI Radeon HD 4200

Here are the screens of all my emulation settings.

[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_VUs.png]
[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_Speedhacks.png]
[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_GS.png]
[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_GSWindow.png]
[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_GameFixes.png]
[Image: pcsx2_CoreSettings_EE-IOP.png]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

you'll have a hard time with that weak gpu.
better stick to native res and use some speedhacks. But don't expect miracles.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
What GSdx are you using (and settings?)

Disable any HW Hacks if you have them on. Try only using the MTVU speedhack. Don't upscale the res over x3. Persona games runs better the less hacks you turn on (except MTVU). Just remember that you need +3 cores for MTVU.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
MTVU seems to help a little bit. Wasn't using any HW hacks, and I'm on SSE2 for my GSdx.

Aslo I have Texture Filtering Squared, and 8 bit textures, alpha corrections, and Logorythmic Z checked.

Extra Rending Threads is set to 0.

Edit: Dissablying Z I've got it stayin garound 52-55 FPS, It's still noticable, but I can live with this. Tongue2
You're running on hardware mode right?

Just add a bit frameskipping too if the sound slows down.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
With that gpu u can play in x2 "almost" all the time, but u need to turn ee/iop and vu clamp modes to none, and put the EE slider to 2 and the VU to 1(anything higher is only gonna give u false fps).

I used to play with that igp when i lost my video card years ago.
While MTVU helps even dual core machines with Persona 4, using EE and VU cycle stealing causes severe slowdown in most cases.
Setting the EE Cyclerate to 2, VU Cyclestealing to 1, Setting Clamping mode to none, and switching from Direct 3D 9 (Hardware) too 3D 10 (Hardware) Seems to have fixed the big slow down in battles (Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier. Tongue2) dropping no lower then 56.

Thanks a lot guys, when I get to the next Big Dialogue scene we'll see if it runs smoothly there as well.
Dunno about your experience ambient, but i finish p3 fes and p4 with that settings using 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 and the only battle that i need to use native resolution was against the dog in the frking roulette(p3 fes), the rest of the game was alwasy at 60 or more frames.
Hello. I've come to know PCSX2 very well over the past week. I have almost identical specs (as the thread starter) except an Athlon X2 64 and HD5450. 4GB of ram clocked somewhere around 400Hz.

I know this is old but for anyone who is getting extreme lag around fog and some bosses in FFX (seems to only happen when faced towards said fog or boss) I can manipulate speed hacks and change drivers but nothing seems to improve certain places in the game. E.G - The small forest where they teach of lancet. I move Tidus around to just get this fog with light filtering thru it out of view and the game speeds back up. This happens around Rikku in the first scene on the boat. ONLY when I walk over to her, over by the save spot the game functions normally.

I wish there was a way to shut off fog. My Graphics card might be busted. Over the course of a couple weeks I've tried over 6 different versions of PCSX2 with all sorts of different plugins. Updating Catalyst control center helped. They don't show you that update if you try searching for drivers. That's new to me.

The deal with the game freaking out before spoken dialogue (e.g. first few battles with Auron where they are laggy), I have the fix for Demi enabled as well as every single DX hack and after doing that I noticed a huge increase in speed. Even with my ATI card the Nvidia hack works. I am using the most current version of PCSX2 and it's plugins. I will upload the settings I am using for information. Still torn on whether my graphics card is broke, or the 2GHz CPU is choking ONLY when fog/light/wtf is in the screen? Is it the emotion engine? Man....