Phenom CPU performance.
Ok, so I'm thinking of building a new PC. I'm tempted to try the Phenom II 965 but I have no idea how it will perform with PCSX2. I know its missing a couple of instructions that intel cpus have (ssse3 and sse4.1) and I know those give performance boosts.

My current PC is a [email protected], 4gb Ram and a Geforce 8800gts512mb. As you can see my new project isn't really a upgrade but me just curious about how the Phenom II 965 will perform with the PCSX2.

If anyone can give answers I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Sponsored links

Those optimizations for SSSE3 and SSE4 do give a performance boost, but it's more in specific locations and doesn't normally amount to more than 5-10%. The AMD will play most games perfectly fine. If you disabled frame limit, it would be noticably different, but at 3.4ghz most games would run perfectly fine and full speed and only the really demanding games would there be a noticable difference between the 2 in pcsx2.
[Image: 2748844.png]
...Phenom II 965 is little kickass for MoBo's, maybe better solution Phenom II 955... But it's your choice...
It will perform better then Q6600...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
(09-18-2009, 08:40 PM)rex1825 Wrote: ...Phenom II 965 is little kickass for MoBo's, maybe better solution Phenom II 955... But it's your choice...
It will perform better then Q6600...

Cheers...

I'm sure it will outperform a Q6600 at stock speeds but what about one OCed to 3.4ghz?
It will NOT perform better than the Q6600 you have now!
With this "upgrade" you'll loose from 10 to 30% fps, depending on how well the Phenom overclocks.
i dont think so rama, i think if he would overclock phenom to 3.8ghz like me then he would have a little boost ( maybe like 5% Tongue ) but its not worth it.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
Yeah I concur. Even if you net up to 15%+ in some specific apps (and intel/amd performance tends to be very app-specific these days), I doubt you'll feel like it was money well spent, especially with that new Quad from Intel coming out in a couple months (the 7xxx series -- which promise to be extremely overclockable given their 13.5-14.5 multipliers and smaller L2 caches).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team