Phenom II configuration
Hi im actually new to emulation and wanted to ask about the optimal performance for Phenom II builds, ive tried running a FF X-2 game and it seems that the sound stutters alot and the output video is not coming out good...

here is my rig info from speccy

AMD Phenom II X4 955
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASRock 890GX Extreme3
ATI Radeon HD 5800

Sponsored links

Your CPU is the limiting factor/bottlenecking your performance...

AMD processors were well known for their bad performance with PCSX2..

Why don't download latest SVN from link below and give MTVU speedhack a try?

http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html
FFX-2 has old, well known bug with the movies and upscaling, the only way to make them watchable is using native res in GSdx config, you can also switch to software mode(F9), but generally FFX-2 movies are quite heavy(intro is used as benchmark for cpu's somewhere in here;]), you can always watch them at youtube if you need to, it doesn't have soo many movies anyway.
The rest of the game wasn't too demanding as I remember, if it's not running at full speed, speedhacks will probably help, surely Phenom II above 3ghz is not too weak for full speed gameplay at X-2(while probably is too weak for the movies;]).
the game play is ok but the movie sux.. but will give it a try again
Here's the thread I was talking about FFX-2 movie based benchmark;], PII requires to be around 4,3ghz to play them with full speed. Really unless you wish to OC it soo high, better just give up on this;3. Youtube has all FF movies in probably all languages and versions @_@.
@archerko

actually the SVN was a big help no lost during movie loadouts no sound stutters atm fixed around 50-60 fps i thought i was playing with my old ps2.. maybe i need to play it more and to know some kinks.. the first movie was a bit dark but it might be fix if i fiddle around with "shade boost" or might be because im connected with an HDMI output need to check it also

i want to know if i can max the output resolution of the emulator without sacrificing the resolution of the game itself?

like playing it around 720p or higher?

@miseru

thanks for that link on benchmark, well i might OC the ram but i doubt that it will give me a huge boost during gameplay

finally i can play my old games from my ps2 thru my pc =)
Ocing the ram won't help you in pcsx2....
phenoms can be oced to 3.8 ghz I believe...u could try that but its entirely your risk...
If your gameplay is smooth then its o.k I think...movies could suffice for the moment

YouTube is always there for that as miseru said Smile
Intel core i5 3210m @3.1ghz
Nvidia Geforce GT650m 2Gb DDR5 (Core:975mhz/Memory:1000mhz)Cool
8Gb DDR3 1600hmz Ram
1Tb Hdd
1600x900 Hd resolutionBiggrin
Windows 8.1 64bit
(06-21-2012, 06:47 PM)kholdmire Wrote: well i might OC the ram but i doubt that it will give me a huge boost during gameplay

OCing the RAM is as useful as OCing the PCIe bus. Lots of potential complications and almost no performance benefit.
Oh bummer I forgot the benchmark is based on 0.9.6, glad it's running better now;3.

And yeah for increase in speed you would rather wish to OC your CPU than ram, but as long as your current games don't need it, no reason to generate more heat and power consumption:]. I have slightly slower one @3ghz, and till now I OC it only once for few days of playing Valkyrie Profile 2;]. Loads of games should run just fine on your cpu stock clocks(Edit: well I should probably mention it depends on your game list:], most RPG's at least are ok with such hardware).

(06-21-2012, 06:47 PM)kholdmire Wrote: (...)
i want to know if i can max the output resolution of the emulator without sacrificing the resolution of the game itself?

like playing it around 720p or higher?
(...)

In case you wonder, the res of window you set doesn't really matter at all, full screen(double click or alt+enter) is just stretching the output which is always running in internal res which you set in GSdx config. Anything above native will boost the res of all geometry based graphics, sprites will still look bad at most, textures will not really gain quality either, it'll still look like 10 year old graphics, but at least 3D will be smooth. Most of the time using internal res multiplier is safer than custom res, soo basically use x2 for 720p, x3 for 1080p etc. Radeon HD5800+ should be able to get full hd res in most games without much problem. Sometimes option "allow 8 bit textures" helps alot in some games on radeons, but it can also as well be a huge slowdown for others, soo it's something to try for each game if you are being limited by GPU.

For improving quality you can also press PgUp key for FXAA which can blur slightly some games, but in many others it's not noticeable and will smooth graphics nicely.

Last but not least, texture filtering have two different modes(not counting OFF;]), when it's colored which is default it applies texture filtering in same way ps2 does, but when it's checked it get's applied on all textures, depending on prefference sometimes improving quality, the only bugger about this that it actually breaks some games.

There are also less universal hardware hacks in GSdx config which can increase quality at times, but don't be too happy seeing there hardware AA, it's actually very hacky, can easily lead to crashes, and doesn't really improve anything most of the time.
i highly agree with miseru....

Your gpu is powerful enough to handle 3x which should be enough for most unless you're just a pure enthusiast who will crank gfx to the max available...

Keep in mind that upscaling can produce glitch but pls don't worry as the multiplier works great for most games....