PlayClaw 3 Support
First up, I know this isn't really a full issue with PCSX2 and is probably considered a minor inconvenience at best. The software works just fine by itself and I can use Hypercam 3 whenever necessary.

I've been attempting to record gameplay footage with PlayClaw 3. I'm getting about 50/50 success rate- some games will constantly flicker regardless of settings. It doesn't seem to be an error of PlayClaw since it works with other titles without issue.

For example, the PAL version of Zone of the Enders 2 plays perfectly and records perfectly. Clocktower 3 on the other hand plays perfectly yet it flickers rapidly at a speed that makes it virtually unplayable (unless you want a serious headache). This happens if Vsync is enabled/disabled and independent of whether Playclaw was loaded first/second. Also happens whether or not 50z or 60z refresh rate is selected in the game. Loading a save state does nothing either. Some log details from the console for booting my original PS2 Clocktower 3 PAL disc from my drive. By the way, neither PlayClaw nor PCSX2 are generating error logs over this.

PCSX2 1.0.0.r5350 - compiled on Aug 1 2012
Savestate version: 0x9a080000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 32741 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 07)
CPU speed = 3.398 ghz (12 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 1fbee3bf
x86EFlags = 2c000000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2.. AVX

Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\gsdx32-ssse3-r5350.dll
Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (8.17.13.142)
Binding PAD: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\lilypad-r5350.dll
Binding SPU2: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\spu2-x-r5350.dll
Binding CDVD: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
Binding USB: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\FWnull.dll
(GameDB) 9640 games on record (loaded in 115ms)
Binding DEV9: C:\Games\PS2 Emulator\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

HLE Notice: ELF does not have a path.

Initializing plugins...
Init GS
Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (8.17.13.142)
Init PAD
Init SPU2
Init CDVD
Init USB
Init FW
Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Opening plugins...
Opening GS
Opening PAD
Opening SPU2
Opening CDVD
* CDVD: Opening drive '\\.\E:'...
* CDVD: IO thread started...
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* CDVD: Disk Type: Double-Layer DVD
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 2) (2246880 sectors)
Opening USB
Opening FW
Opening DEV9
McdSlot 0: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\PCSX2\memcards\Mcd001.ps2
McdSlot 1: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\PCSX2\memcards\Mcd002.ps2
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
Bios Found: Europe v02.00(14/06/2004) Console
BIOS rom1 module not found, skipping...
BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
BIOS erom module not found, skipping...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59.94 fps
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to PAL.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 50.00 fps
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLES_516.19;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.00
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = PAL
ELF (cdrom0:\SLES_516.19;1) Game CRC = 0xD9FC6310, EntryPoint = 0x01810008

Sponsored links

Try the internal GSdx recorder? (F12)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I tried it but found it seriously affects the framerate
any recorder will ;p
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

While I haven't tried it with Playclaw, the internal recorder (w/x264vfw, Lagarith, and HuffYUV codecs, at least) is definitely slower than Fraps, Dxtory, and Bandicam.

While it's great if slowdown is completely unavoidable with your system/the game you're recording, there's no reason to use the internal recorder if you can maintain full speed with another program.
I get full speed with the internal recorder and x265vfw in lossless mode at 1280x720. But I need to record on my SSD. The slowdown happens because your HDD cannot handle writing data that fast without slowing down your FPS
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(09-03-2012, 03:21 PM)Wolfwood824 Wrote: While I haven't tried it with Playclaw, the internal recorder (w/x264vfw, Lagarith, and HuffYUV codecs, at least) is definitely slower than Fraps, Dxtory, and Bandicam.

While it's great if slowdown is completely unavoidable with your system/the game you're recording, there's no reason to use the internal recorder if you can maintain full speed with another program.

Blah. What?

The internal recorder exactly captures every frame created. Other recorders can't offer any sort of guarantee, and they keep up by dropping frames all over the place. The only reason NOT to use the internal recorder is if you have to have real time capability (for real time web streaming).
Have you tried MSI Afterburner or Evga Precision X?

The only thing playclaw offers is cpu tracking, both others will track all gpu information and offer screen shot/video recording. They also offer the ability to set a FPS limit, outside of vsync.
(09-03-2012, 11:08 PM)Bositman Wrote: I get full speed with the internal recorder and x265vfw in lossless mode at 1280x720. But I need to record on my SSD. The slowdown happens because your HDD cannot handle writing data that fast without slowing down your FPS
The filesizes you get from lossless mode in x264vfw are actually much smaller than with Fraps (and that's without using the lossless RGB option), and Dxtory is even bigger than that depending on the settings.

If your storage is the bottleneck while using x264vfw, it's probably going to be just as bad or worse with other software, assuming you're going for lossless recording.

And of course you get full speed recording at 720p with an i5-2500k @4.3GHz. =P

Hell, I recorded the latter half of a God Hand run last year at 1280x720 on a rig with a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (can't remember the exact model off the top of my head, though; I wanna say it was an E7xxx series, but I'm not 100% on that) and I rarely got any slowdown with Fraps (when I did, it was because the PC was a crappily-built Dell XPS that overheated after a couple hours under load; shutting it down for a while always fixed the problem).

(09-04-2012, 12:26 AM)natt Wrote: Blah. What?

The internal recorder exactly captures every frame created. Other recorders can't offer any sort of guarantee, and they keep up by dropping frames all over the place. The only reason NOT to use the internal recorder is if you have to have real time capability (for real time web streaming).
Okay, I feel like you didn't quite get what I was saying, so let me break it down a bit:

Example PC #1
- Game "X" lags when recording with internal recorder
- Game "X" also lags when using separate software (e.g. Fraps, Dxtory, Playclaw) to record

Conclusion: Recording with internal GSdx recorder is preferable, as it's the only way for resulting video to come out at full speed on this particular PC.

Example PC #2
- Game "X" lags when recording with internal recorder
- Game "X" does not lag when using separate software to record

Conclusion: Resulting video files will be at full speed with both options when using this PC, but using separate software is preferable as it will result in a better play experience (unless slowdown is actually preferred).

Example PC #3
- Game "X" does not lag when recording with internal recorder
- Game "X" does not lag when using separate software to record

Conclusion: Both video output and play experience will be the same with either recording method on this system.

However, it is worth noting that separate software is still more convenient than the internal recorder as the former does not require one to move/rename the audio file each time recording is stopped, nor re-set the settings each time the record button is pressed.

(09-04-2012, 12:32 AM)BallaTheFeared Wrote: Have you tried MSI Afterburner or Evga Precision X?
I haven't tried Precision X, but Afterburner only "detects" PC games; it doesn't work with emulators.
(09-04-2012, 02:50 AM)Wolfwood824 Wrote: I haven't tried Precision X, but Afterburner only "detects" PC games; it doesn't work with emulators.

Both the overlay:

[Image: 5b1f7c50.jpg]

And the recording of Precision and Afterburner should work.