Playground performance with the latest processors
the point was that amd is not inferior in terms of power atm
and again

"how much money?" and "for what do you use the pc?" that should be the questions asked if you want a new processor!

much money: Intel I7 no question!

less money: it depends!
  • only pcsx2: C2D E8400 or E8500
  • other cpu dependent apps too(games/rendering....) : PhenomII 940
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm

Sponsored links

The Phenom II supports SSE3, as I understand it, and I don't understand why GSdx doesn't run under SSE3 with it. They only support a small subset of SSE4 instructions (dubbed SSE4a). Also, the Phenom II has been shown to be very competitive with the latest equivalent Intel processors. Sadly, 3DNow doesn't get much use.

(I say this is an owner. Tongue)
(02-03-2009, 05:13 AM)Mystiq Wrote: The Phenom II supports SSE3, as I understand it, and I don't understand why GSdx doesn't run under SSE3 with it. They only support a small subset of SSE4 instructions (dubbed SSE4a). Also, the Phenom II has been shown to be very competitive with the latest equivalent Intel processors. Sadly, 3DNow doesn't get much use.

(I say this is an owner. Tongue)

gsdx doesn't use sse3 just because sse3 doesn't have anything useful for gsdx
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
Ah. I mistook SSE3 for SSSE3. That's unnecessarily confusing naming. :/
but SSSE3 too is almost never used XD so would be no real gain for pcsx2
the SSE4.1 is said to be some gain around 1 - 3 frames i heard last

don't forget the GFX plugin uses the SIMD extensions (SSE)
not pcsx2 so GFX plugin would be faster but that is not the bottleneck for almost every game XD(with a 8800GT at least not)

so the extensions don'T make much difference right now xD
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
unless you're going for 64bit or server os your system won't even see 8gb of ram, btw. For XP it's about 2.96gb only.
Cain, untrue. Most motherboards support a feature called PAE, Physical Address Extension, allowing the OS to address RAM as 48 bits instead of 32, so at the very least it will see all 4 GB. Windows 2003 Server 32-bit can see all 8 GB of my RAM. Oddly, Windows 7 32-bit only saw 4 GB.