Please Help with even getting started
Tongue 
I downloaded pcsx2 .9.6 and it won't even let me start it up. It shows up with a mass effect 2 screen and the icons all have mass effect 2 symbols. how did it get it confused and how can I turn it back.

Sponsored links

Right click>>Properties>>change>> any of 7 zip, winrar, winzip, etc
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
Wait wait wait, I have to be reading this wrong.

Your PCSX2 comes up with Mass Effect 2 icons? That's 7 different kinds of messed up. Are you sure you got it from the official PCSX2 site?

Otherwise all I can think of is if ME2 associated itself with the .7z extension, confusing Windows. Forcing it to open with the appropriate program (as described by CKL) should fix it for the moment, but that's still really screwed up.

Either way screenshot it, this I want to see Tongue
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Mass effect 2 seems to mess up some zip files icon, but it shouldn't change anything other than the icon showing the Mass Effect symbol. I got some of mine changed when I had the game installed though I can't remember whether they were 7 zip files or not. It was actually quite interesting.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
For me, more filetypes got changed into "mass effect-ed" icons when I installed it.
CKL's right, simply force the file you got to open into 7-zip
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go