Please put back De-alias Filter in Audio Setting
Shocked 
Hello,

first of all, my apologies if i post in the wrong forum.
if so, then please move this thread to the appropriate forum.

so, i downloaded the latest PCSX2 Git version,
and noticed that in the "Audio Settings", the "De-Alias Filter" had been omitted.
IMHO, it's a very nice filter and helps elevate/improve the audio especially when using headphones.
and yes PCSX2 is a PS2 Emulator, but it's not exactly a PS2 console, so why not improve the audio a bit more ?
and i think the "De-Alias FIlter" is one way to do it.

so, with all due respect, please put the "De-Alias Filter" back, good sirs. [Image: unsure.gif]

Sponsored links

A serious question. Does audio sound worse/different without the filter in the new version you got vs the old version?

There's been a LOT of changes so if something is missing, oftentimes it's now built-in or the base is improved enough that the feature is not needed anymore for corner cases.
Really? It sounded freaking horrible. What exactly does it improve on headphones?

The Gaussian interpolation should be very PS2-like audio.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(08-17-2021, 08:49 AM)MrWizard Wrote: A serious question. Does audio sound worse/different without the filter in the new version you got vs the old version?

There's been a LOT of changes so if something is missing, oftentimes it's now built-in or the base is improved enough that the feature is not needed anymore for corner cases.

(08-17-2021, 10:52 AM)refraction Wrote: Really? It sounded freaking horrible.  What exactly does it improve on headphones?

The Gaussian interpolation should be very PS2-like audio.

well, the difference really stands out when using headphone. not worse, it is just good for my headphone, imho.

it is just a $20 everyday-good to use-bluetooth headphone, not a $200 audiophonic, connected to a PC running Windows 10 Pro 19043.1165.
i did turned on Window's enhancements for headphones, which boosts the bass output.

in PCSX2 Audio, when using headphone, i use Hermite interpolation + de-alias filter to balance the bass boost, and it sounds great !

without the filter, the treble is overwhelmed by the bass, and the audio just feels unbalanced, especially voice-overs.

this is using PCSX2 v1.7.0-dev-1578-ga982852e3, the last one to have de-alias filter option.

but when i use the sound system my PC's audio is connected to, i always use Gaussian interpolation only, and yes, it sounds awesome !

still awesome as always in the latest git PCSX2-v1.7.0-dev-1622-g90e8923c3

so, i mean, with all due respect, it's just an optional condition which may or may not benefit everyone, but as it is an option, i see no harm to (still) include it in the Audio Settings.

also yes, i agree with refraction that Gaussian is very PS2-like, but imho, as this is an emulator, i'd love the idea that we can improve the audio to our liking, more than the actual console ever could. Smile
I see no harm you using an old version. With all fue respect how can we improve stuff if we cannot change anything. If we cater to you then everyone else may do it for other aspects.
(08-21-2021, 06:34 AM)SeiYuusha Wrote: also yes, i agree with refraction that Gaussian is very PS2-like, but imho, as this is an emulator, i'd love the idea that we can improve the audio to our liking, more than the actual console ever could. Smile
The sound quality you can get for faithful emulation of ps2 spu is already very good. PS2 has a better audio chip than today's motherboard codec sound chip. You should look at hardware upgrade like soundcard and speaker and cable for better sound rather than totally depend on software enhancement. You won't regret. You can get awesome sound in games or music.
Quote:$20 everyday-good to use-bluetooth headphone... i did turned on Window's enhancements for headphones, which boosts the bass output... Hermite interpolation + de-alias filter to balance the bass boost

Disclaimer, I'm a bit of an audio snob at least for minimizing post-processing of sound:

That sounds like a lot of hoops to make relatively cheap Bluetooth headphones sound better vs faithfully reproduce original sound. It also feels like it's something that's specifically aimed at your exact headphones since you mention that when using sound system (i'll assume powered speaker) it actually sounds great. To be honest with you, it sounds like you'd want to try a different set of headphones and disable enhancements. 

Unfortunately, to my knowledge few (if any) inexpensive bluetooth headphones sound any good, so my apologies I don't have any recommendations in that area.