Please re-implement Directx Software mode in PCSX2 1.7.
I'm not sure where to post this because i'm new here. AMD Gpu user here. Could you guys please re-implement DirectX Software mode in PCSX2 1.7 again? As you may know, AMD's OpenGL drivers are know for being notoriously bad, and 1.7's software mode is now forced to OpenGL mode only. Games that i used to play at steady 60 fps in DX Software mode are now dropping to 20 fps on OGL Software mode because of AMD's terrible drivers. I really like the new features in 1.7 so i hope this is possible to implement again.

Sponsored links

Basically, dx software mode and OGL software mode are the same.
That's why one has been removed.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
well that really hasn't been my experience with an AMD gpu (Rx 580). For example on PCSX2 1.6 steady 60 fps on dx software mode (both Dx9 and Dx11), but as soon as i switch to OGL software mode the performance is ruined.
(12-28-2021, 06:22 PM)Shabaoe Wrote: well that really hasn't been my experience with an AMD gpu (Rx 580). For example on PCSX2 1.6 steady 60 fps on dx software mode (both Dx9 and Dx11), but as soon as i switch to OGL software mode the performance is ruined.

sorry for you.
no plans for this, though
(12-28-2021, 06:29 PM)jesalvein Wrote: sorry for you.
no plans for this, though

is there anyway so i can grab some files from 1.6 and put inside 1.7 folder so i can play DirectX Software mode? Because as far as AMD is concerned, they will never care about fixing their OGL drivers as well.
(12-28-2021, 07:00 PM)Shabaoe Wrote: is there anyway so i can grab some files from 1.6 and put inside 1.7 folder so i can play DirectX Software mode? Because as far as AMD is concerned, they will never care about fixing their OGL drivers as well.

nope.
plugins system has been removed in 1.7
(12-28-2021, 06:22 PM)Shabaoe Wrote: well that really hasn't been my experience with an AMD gpu (Rx 580). For example on PCSX2 1.6 steady 60 fps on dx software mode (both Dx9 and Dx11), but as soon as i switch to OGL software mode the performance is ruined.

That's nothing to do with it being OpenGL software mode, it's no slower on AMD than Nvidia.

Anyway, Software mode actually uses DX if you were in DX Hardware before, your problem is your software mode is either not set up right or your CPU isn't strong enough.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(12-29-2021, 04:27 AM)refraction Wrote: Anyway, Software mode actually uses DX if you were in DX Hardware before

That is true for PCSX2 1.6 and older versions. But i'm on PCSX2 1.7. When i press F9 while in DX hardware mode it switches to OGL Software mode, as reported by RivaTuner that the application is running on OGL. If there is a way to change this please let me know.

(12-29-2021, 04:27 AM)refraction Wrote:  your problem is your software mode is either not set up right...

Then please tell me how do i set up DX Software mode in PCSX 1.7 because i was told in this thread that i can't.

(12-29-2021, 04:27 AM)refraction Wrote: or your CPU isn't strong enough

I don't think thats the case because i had no problems with speed/framerate in PCSX2 1.6 DX software mode and older versions (exact same settings, same default speedhack settings, same extra rendering core setting, same games). Unless:

a- the requirements went up for 1.7

b- you mean my CPU isn't strong enough for OGL SW mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case since it was reported in this thread that both SW modes should be the same.

c- my PC really doesn't like OGL SW mode for some unknow reason that i'm trying to figure out.

By the way i have a core i5 4670k @3.80GHz. Properly cooled on low temperatures so no throttling involved.
Sorry I was confused with what had happened due to some other changes going on.

Once the Vulkan PR merges, the development builds will use D3D for software if you hot switch to it for D3D11.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Anyway I found a setting that was considerably decreasing my fps in Software mode in the games im playing (Devil May Cry, Enter The Matrix, Nightshade). Its this Auto-Flush setting in PCSX2 1.7. Sorry i never noticed this setting because it was never present in the PCSX2 1.6 build i was using. Its not running as good as DX Software mode but its close enough now.

Thanks for the help anyway!