Poor Performance when rendering particles?
after trying over 40 Games so far i notice that only scenes with Heavy particles would give me Frames drops. i mean what's so different with PS2 Games particles that they require this much performance?

and could we have in the future an option to not upscale particles?

Sponsored links

Maybe GSDX is bad or maybe your graphics card is bad.
(01-01-2015, 04:10 PM)phrase Wrote: Maybe GSDX is bad or maybe your graphics card is bad.

Seriously having 20 enemies on "Stage" is still better than a wombo-mombo combo that produce tons of particles
The reason is simple, rendering more textures need more raw power.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Particles rendering is heavily dependent on graphics card memory bandwidth.
(01-01-2015, 04:17 PM)phrase Wrote: Particles rendering is heavily dependent on graphics card memory bandwidth.
That's the case in hardware mode. While, it's CPU is heavily dependent in software mode.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(01-01-2015, 04:13 PM)ssakash Wrote: The reason is simple, rendering more textures need more raw power.

do you know what particles are ? Laugh

Quote:A particle system is a technique in game physics and computer graphics that uses a large number of very small sprites or other graphic objects to simulate certain kinds of "fuzzy" phenomena, which are otherwise very hard to reproduce with conventional rendering techniques

so textures much wow.
Whoops, a misunderstanding Tongue2 , thought you were talking about textures.
- Refraction
(01-01-2015, 04:40 PM)ssakash Wrote: Whoops, a misunderstanding Tongue2 , thought you were talking about textures.

here is an example of a typical Particles frame drop

So, I don't know much about PCSX2 and the situation there, but I do know Dolphin has a similar issue with rendering tons of particles/effects.

What happens in dolphin is that rendering all those particles requires some kind of pipeline flush after each one, so, hundreds of single/low polygon objects would be much, much harder to render than a couple of models that were thousands of polygons. And yeah, texturing/effects/framebuffer (assuming the PS2 does framebuffer stuff?) would also play into it making particle effects slower.

This makes total sense, and is likely not a fault of PCSX2 or GDSX; just one of the difficulties of emulation. I'm sure there are ways to speed it up in both emulators, though; it's just a matter of being clever enough to find the solutions that work without breaking things!