Possibility of independent audio thread.
Hello there :3
Sorry if I'm a complete noob, but I have a question.
Is there a possible way to have audio thread independent from video thread in the game?
Let me explain a little bit: There are some games where I don't care about them slowing down, but I care about music getting distorted because of that (like Persona 4 and Super Robot Taisen with its huge map slowdown). Is there a way to make music actually play independently until the scene transition? Even if track would loop or break at the end of the scene, I don't really care. I just don't want music to get distorted.
There might be a problem with sound effects, though, but I don't really care much about it either.
Thank you :3

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Oh, right.
Specs would be:
CPU - AMD Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
GPU - HD4870
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM and Windows 8 (not 8.1) 64bit.

I use PCSX 1.0.0 with mostly speedhacks being non-default settings and I also use native resolution with SSE2 based GSDX 5334 in DX10 mode.
I set EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing to 1 for certain games like FFXII and FFX and I play everything from

I understand that my PC is generally underpowered, but I just want to know if there's any possibility of some sort of hack to enforce somewhat independent audio thread.
config>audio>plugin settings

change from timestretch to async mix
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Doesn't async mix slows down the music so it sounds like in slow motion when the game slows down? At least, that's what I've been hearing so far.
It's funny, though, the way async works for me would be how I'd expect timestretch to work (coming from its name).

Update: I needed to remind myself of async, but it still doesn't really make 'independent' audio thread. It really just slows down the music without much of a slow-mo distortion in it based on speed of the game itself.
What I meant is actual independent playback of a music track for the scene at fullspeed when the game slows down. Even if track will loop at the end of it while scene is still running.
time stretch stretches the audio to match the gameplay. Async mix desyncs the audio from the gameplay.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(07-22-2014, 01:35 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: time stretch stretches the audio to match the gameplay. Async mix desyncs the audio from the gameplay.

It still doesn't 'entirely' desync it, but slows it down based on the speed so that end of the music track will match end of the scene or video transition (in case of cutscenes), so, potentially there isn't much difference between async and timestretch except the slow-mo distortion.

There's a little gameplay video I recorded to show how async mix works for me. You can hear the music slow down as game's speed lowers.
This video is private. Set it to public so that we can see it.

Async mix normally decouples audio from the normal (too slow) timing. But it might not work with every game and probably not if your framerate is much lower than full speed.
(07-22-2014, 03:14 AM)willkuer Wrote: This video is private. Set it to public so that we can see it.

Async mix normally decouples audio from the normal (too slow) timing. But it might not work with every game and probably not if your framerate is much lower than full speed.

Oh, damn, I'm an idiot. Changed video to public.
Well, I forced the CPU load to make sound slowdown more noticeable. Maybe there's a way to extend the 'range' of desync onto lower framerates?
Well your cpu is just completely at the limit. It can not even handle sound anymore...
Probably not much you can do against this except for overclocking or getting better hardware. Sorry.