Possible to compile PCSX2 for SSE?
I used to run PCSX2 on an old, but capable laptop. After years of flimsyness, though, it seems to have finally given up the ghost.

I got a new HDD for my secondary desktop computer, and reinstalled it. However, its CPU (AMD Sempron 2800+) doesn't support SSE2 or newer.

Is it possible to compile PCSX2 (and/or its plug-ins, as it seems to be mostly related to the gsDX plug-in) for SSE? I'm fully aware that this probably won't allow me to run games at an acceptable speed, but all I want to do is memory hacking in combination with Cheat Engine, so I'm fine with 10 FPS.

(This belongs in the Developer forum, but I don't have the priviledge to post there.)

Sponsored links

im afraid it is not. I believe 0.9.4 (or 0.9.2) or older should possibly work on an SSE computer, but the newer versions heavily make use of SSE2, so this will not be possible.

Simply there hasn't been a non-sse2 machine for over 10 years now, if you do not have one, you really should consider upgrading.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Thanks for your response.

I would be fine with using an older version, but I recall reading that the PS2 memory region isn't fixed in PCSX2's program memory in those. Starting what version does PCSX2 lock the memory to 20000000?

I'm not considering an upgrade any time soon. This machine does what I need it to do, and does it well. Well, except PCSX2, but it's not important enough to me to consider upgrading.

I also consider it somewhat rude to suggest an upgrade to someone who just spent a considerable amount of time getting his current computer in working order.
Quote: I also consider it somewhat rude to suggest an upgrade to someone who just spent a considerable amount of time getting his current computer in working order.

To be fair, you didn't mention this in the original post.

You could just get a cheap AM3/AM3+ mobo and slap one of these cheapies in there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103888
I thought the phrase "I got a new HDD for my secondary desktop computer, and reinstalled it." was clear enough.

I already said I do not wish to upgrade, so please don't try to convince me otherwise.
Your tone ironically seems to be the one that's rude.

Installing an HDD isn't exactly a big deal.

I was merely throwing out suggestions in case you wished to further pursue your PCSX2 ventures, chill out.
My apologies if I came across that way. I was trying to stick to the facts.

No, installing a HDD isn't a big deal by itself, but then comes the installation of the OS on it, which I first had to prepare by slipstreaming tons of updates. I'll save you the rest of my ordeal.

I had already made it clear that I didn't want any suggestions, so I'm admittedly ticked off that one was still being made. I've had enough suggestions in the past to upgrade my different machines, so I'm sensitive to this unwanted attention.
(11-08-2013, 03:18 AM)BenoitRen Wrote: My apologies if I came across that way. I was trying to stick to the facts.

No, installing a HDD isn't a big deal by itself, but then comes the installation of the OS on it, which I first had to prepare by slipstreaming tons of updates. I'll save you the rest of my ordeal.

I had already made it clear that I didn't want any suggestions, so I'm admittedly ticked off that one was still being made. I've had enough suggestions in the past to upgrade my different machines, so I'm sensitive to this unwanted attention.

Well, refraction is one of the PCSX2 devs, so his answer is solid:

(11-07-2013, 10:58 PM)refraction Wrote: im afraid it is not. I believe 0.9.4 (or 0.9.2) or older should possibly work on an SSE computer, but the newer versions heavily make use of SSE2, so this will not be possible.

Simply there hasn't been a non-sse2 machine for over 10 years now, if you do not have one, you really should consider upgrading.

So, let's just let this thread die here shall we?

(Not trying to be a pr*ck, just no need for people to get upset!)
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Hopefully a mod can just close the thread.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Your question has already been answered by refraction. Your best bet, is to get some pre-0.9.4 builds, or if you can find source archives that old. Then try those out, and see if they fulfill your needs.