Potential patches for games that have issues in PCSX2
Hey everybody, I just found out about something that could (potentialy) help games that have issues or don't boot at all to work.

I just found out that alot of games on PCSX2 share EXACTLY the same issues on PS3's full software emulator.

(From here on it requires you to know how PS2 Classics work on PS3 so don't comment unless you know/learn how it works)

If you try to boot one of those PS2 games simply by using the normal PS2 iso dump it will result into having exactly the same issues as PCSX2, which I bet must be exactly the same issue technicaly. (It will run with zero compatibility hacks/patches)

Examples:
Siren - SPS
Kessen II - that messed up geometry/physics effect on cutscenes
Dead Or Alive 2: Hardcore - staying forever idle (doesn't appear like it hangs)

Now, if you try the official PSN PS2 Classics releases you will notice that these games actually work without any issue which obviously means that these titles come with somekind of patch inside the releases.

Now I'm in the process of investigating which file is responsible for communicating with the emulator and what "tells" it what to patch, when I'll find out about it I will post info here.

Sponsored links

Youll find siren 2 is fixed btw ;p if siren suffers the same problem we need an emulog from the game run with a dev build (not svn) which should give some COP2 warnings, then we can patch it. Kessen II might be the same problem.

as for DoA2, that does some freaky threading stuff, potentially to do with audio which just completely throws us off. We've patched a couple of versions of DoA2, but not all of them.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

You really don't know how many games have exactly the same issues and they have a patch for alot of them.

I don't know if it may sound weird or stupid but I have a huge feeling that Sony may have used alot of PCSX2's source on their emulator (to cut some time/effort/brainstorming I guess)
I mean just way too many coincidences, even when you check the emulator ELF file with IDA Pro the way VUs, EE, GS and IOP work are mostly a copy-paste job just arranged differently.
I don't doubt it for a second, although i'm slightly flattered the people who made the PS2 needed to use our code to make their system emulate their system Tongue

How would Sony use source code form PCSX2? I thought the architecture differences would prevent that.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
There are C compilers for the PS3 you know. You can write PS2 programs in C, we've done so with many tests.

(01-11-2014, 06:03 PM)refraction Wrote: I don't doubt it for a second, although i'm slightly flattered the people who made the PS2 needed to use our code to make their system emulate their system Tongue

I'm actually a bit more irritated that they play with the GPL to be honest.
I have no doubt that they use some core stuff there.

(01-11-2014, 06:04 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: How would Sony use source code form PCSX2? I thought the architecture differences would prevent that.

It's not a direct copy-paste job but they could save alot of time taking as a note PCSX2's source or even some stuff that wouldn't need a rewrite they could copy-paste em.
(01-11-2014, 06:10 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: I'm actually a bit more irritated that they play with the GPL to be honest.
I have no doubt that they use some core stuff there.

Indeed, however 2 problems stop us persuing this.

1. We have no proof.
2. They have a lot more money than we could ever throw in to any sort of legal system to beat them.

However we would prefer to keep sony "on side" if possible. Their leaving us alone is the only thing between the emulator being here and not being here currently.

(01-11-2014, 06:11 PM)refraction Wrote: Indeed, however 2 problems stop us persuing this.

1. We have no proof.
2. They have a lot more money than we could ever throw in to any sort of legal system to beat them.

However we would prefer to keep sony "on side" if possible. Their leaving us alone is the only thing between the emulator being here and not being here currently.
This is exactly what they take advantage of.
Meh, anyway back on topic I found more stuff about it.

There is a file called "CONFIG" which itself seems to be somekind of plugin (prx/elf) which does the job inject something into emulation.
what would be nice is a way to run the ps2 classics on pcsx2 Tongue