Presets??
I not sure this has been ask by why does PCSX2 Default to Presets being checked? as far as i memory that was never defaulted till recently??

Using them was never good for me they always cause slow downs so I never used them but now there defaulted upon first start up is there reason to this?

Sponsored links

Uhh it doesn't default as far as I know. Though my latest version is 1.3.1-182. Maybe it changed after that, but yeah.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(05-03-2015, 10:23 PM)Ryudo Wrote: Uhh it doesn't default as far as I know. Though my latest version is 1.3.1-182. Maybe it changed after that, but yeah.

i just got the latest git and it default to presets (2) being checked, and first thing i did when i saw that was i unchecked it cause nothing good as come of have those checked on my end
Yeah, it's doing it in the latest git build
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(05-03-2015, 10:49 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Yeah, it's doing it in the latest git build

is supposed to default to checked preset (2) now and going into the future?
I _think_ it was changed some months ago to enable the preset by default. It's better for new users since it combines many confusing configuration options into a single slider which is easy to modify (and observe which options are changed at each preset level), while more advanced users can just uncheck it and tweak every single option manually.

That being said, how is using presets making pcsx2 slower? you can see exactly which options are modified when you move the presets slider, so which option is getting locked by the preset that makes you disable the preset such that you can change it manually?

Deciding which options to "lock" in the presets is delicate, and over time we changed them. For instance, initially MTVU was always disabled when using the presets, and now the presets leave it up to the user, etc.

If you think some option should not be locked behind the preset, or you think a different preset number should be the default, let me know what you think, and if I'm convinced then I'll try to modify it. But, keep in mind that the presets system is for new users and it's super easy to disable (because it's visible on all the config "panels"), so we'll probably keep the presets enabled by default, and I prefer to keep as much "confusing" options as possible locked when using presets.

Also, just to make it clear, the stuff which is grayed out when using presets is NOT disabled. It's just controlled by the preset slider and doesn't allow to modify it manually. So for instance preset 4 enables several speed hacks, etc.
Yeah, I think the presets are fine as is. I think it's fine to limit noobies, but allow more experienced users to really tweak their settings if needed.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Yeah, I also prefer the preset idea. but, I think the level of presets could be adjusted better like having three states "PS2-accurate", "medium speed hacks", "High speed hacks (will cause inaccurate fps readings)".
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(05-03-2015, 10:06 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Using them was never good for me they always cause slow downs...

That's a pretty strong statement. Care to elaborate? See also my earlier comment.
(05-04-2015, 08:36 PM)avih Wrote: That's a pretty strong statement. Care to elaborate? See also my earlier comment.

He's probably referring to the 'aggressive' and higher presets. (4+). They could generate false FPS readings due to compatibility issues being caused by the various speedhacks.

Personally I never use the presets, I just set it manually lol. But for new users it will be handy.

It defaults to preset 2 now right? That shouldn't be causing any issues as far as I know with the games. It's the exact settings I use when setting it manually.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)