Pressure Sensitive Face Buttons with PS2 Controller+USB Adapter?
Hello! I understand that this question is likely asked incessantly since time immemorial, but I'd like to ask once more for some answers.

If that's at all possible, I'm looking to achieve complete pressure sensitivity with my PCSX2 Experience. This includes All face buttons, and Both L1/R1 and L2/R2.

There's a lovely game, Williams Pinball Collection, that makes good use of the pressure sensitive L1 and R1 buttons to better feather the flippers for a more authentic pinball experience.
However, with my current drivers, which emulates an Xbox 360 controller, lacks the functionally to accept L1/R1 and the face buttons as input.

I picked up a PS3 Dance Pad Adapter which accepts a Playstation 2 controller slot into a USB plug, and tried out a PS2 controller on it. Remarkably, testing the L2 and R2 buttons, the pressure sensitivity seemed to function correctly, as if the long triggers of a controller were being emulated rather than a pressure sensitive button on the true controller.
I tried using the Ps2 controller with games that have a L2 for the accelerator on vehicles, and they work just fine. Seems like my computer is adequately fooled.

My conclusion is that with this current configuration of an OEM PS2 controller, combined with this mystery Dance Pad Adapter, pressure sensitive outputs CAN be interpreted from that platform. The only barrier is getting the driver to help my computer (and likewise, PCSX2), understand that there are more buttons that are pressure sensitive overall.

Is there a "One and Done" software or driver solution to this issue? I'd rather not compromise on any sensitivity option, even if it makes connecting other varieties of controllers untenable.

I'll throw in the scant details on this mystery dance pad adapter from its packaging, if anyone is interested or could even find it elsewhere. No idea where the swap shop found it.
Name: Converter PC/PS3 Dance Pad Adapter for 20GB, 60GB & 80GB Version
Item Code: M04196-BULK
UPC Code: 5216500158
SKU??: 3791BO8

Sponsored links

In earlier versions of PCSX2 when I still used DualShock 3's, there was a feature in the driver software (I used Scarlett Crush Productions aka SCP driver) that straight up enabled pressure sensitivity in the emu, so all you had to do was tick a box somewhere in the gamepad settings in PCSX2 and you'd get full functionality. I stopped using SCP after my DS3's usb port withered to the point where the pad would disconnect with the slightest movement of the cord, and SCP just seemed a bit of a headache to remove from the system completely.

I'm pretty sure the current iterations of the emu still has this functionality, but I'm not too well versed in it. They finally added the ability to 'emulate' pressure sensitivity with the usage of a 'modifier button', which is clunky as hell but better than nothing.
(01-18-2023, 06:47 AM)NarooN Wrote: In earlier versions of PCSX2 when I still used DualShock 3's, there was a feature in the driver software (I used Scarlett Crush Productions aka SCP driver) that straight up enabled pressure sensitivity in the emu, so all you had to do was tick a box somewhere in the gamepad settings in PCSX2 and you'd get full functionality. I stopped using SCP after my DS3's usb port withered to the point where the pad would disconnect with the slightest movement of the cord, and SCP just seemed a bit of a headache to remove from the system completely.

I'm pretty sure the current iterations of the emu still has this functionality, but I'm not too well versed in it. They finally added the ability to 'emulate' pressure sensitivity with the usage of a 'modifier button', which is clunky as hell but better than nothing.

I do happen to have a rather old version of the SCP drivers (Pre-PS4, I think). Its contents date to 2013.

Also, my reasons to switch to a PS2 controller potentially are the same as yours. My PS3 controllers are quite beat to heck and are very fiddly to connect. With a Ps2 controller, I can at least have the potential of a pressure sensitive solution without worrying about the excellent Dualshock vibration making things problematic.

You would think that after all those years (And finally getting games like Stuntman to be somewhat visually functional) someone would figure out a wholesale, long term solution to this that's easy to find and implement to make our buttons variably pressed on once more.
Back in the day (man, it's wild I can even say that in regards to this site, ps2 emulation, etc...) I recall that actual DualShock 2 pads could make use of the pressure sensitivity function without the need of a 3rd party api wrapper - usually people just used PS2-to-USB adapters and it would work out of the box, so to speak. I would assume they'd retain that function but the emu has changed a lot since then and some plugins either became deprecated or removed altogether. That was with Lilypad so I'm not sure if the current emu kept that functionality or not.
Ok! this isn't exactly a "One and Done" but there IS indeed a solution to the pressure sensitivity problem, confirmed with the face buttons!
I was able to find this youtube video that goes through the process of installing these drivers that allow you to use a PS3 controller or PS2 controller with RCPS3 or PCSX2. Almost exactly what I was looking for!

Video Link: https://youtu.be/ZzRsX2_q0RI

Link to primary drivers: https://github.com/ViGEm/DsHidMini/releases

In order to get these drivers to function, you need to mercilessly ream out every bit of the previous SCP drivers that I had lying around. This executable linked in the troubleshooting page was essential to get things moving.
https://github.com/nefarius/Legacinator

Please understand that I have NOT attempted to use these drivers with PS3 controllers, I have only used a similar USB to PS2 controller adapter to plug my old PS2 controller in.

Either way, for those who have been looking for a pressure sensitivity solution, you may have some success this way. Be sure you follow the instructions carefully and restart your computer upon driver installation.
(02-08-2023, 08:49 AM)KilledAlive Wrote: Ok! this isn't exactly a "One and Done" but there IS indeed a solution to the pressure sensitivity problem, confirmed with the face buttons!
I was able to find this youtube video that goes through the process of installing these drivers that allow you to use a PS3 controller or PS2 controller with RCPS3 or PCSX2. Almost exactly what I was looking for!

Video Link: https://youtu.be/ZzRsX2_q0RI

Link to primary drivers: https://github.com/ViGEm/DsHidMini/releases

In order to get these drivers to function, you need to mercilessly ream out every bit of the previous SCP drivers that I had lying around. This executable linked in the troubleshooting page was essential to get things moving.
https://github.com/nefarius/Legacinator

Please understand that I have NOT attempted to use these drivers with PS3 controllers, I have only used a similar USB to PS2 controller adapter to plug my old PS2 controller in.

Either way, for those who have been looking for a pressure sensitivity solution, you may have some success this way. Be sure you follow the instructions carefully and restart your computer upon driver installation.

Hello, thanks for this write-up! Could you share which USB adapter you've used for your PS2 controller?
I've read they're a bit hit-and-miss with regards to pressure sensitivity "support", so any info/purchase link/pics would be greatly appreciatedĀ  Smile
(05-11-2023, 02:43 AM)LoScienzo Wrote: Hello, thanks for this write-up! Could you share which USB adapter you've used for your PS2 controller?
I've read they're a bit hit-and-miss with regards to pressure sensitivity "support", so any info/purchase link/pics would be greatly appreciatedĀ  Smile

Unfortunately, the dance pad adapter I picked up was wholly unlabeled. It has 4 LED's that indicate the player it is assigned to, similar to a PS3 controller, and was displayed in a plastic bag with a handwritten label from the store itself.

If it means anything, the casing features curves like a PS3 Fat in shiny black plastic, but that's the best I can describe it.