Primal and PCSX2 questions.
Hello everyone,

I dusted off a few of my old PSX and PS2 games, and decided to give your emulator a whirl. So far, the few I have tried after making ISO's worked great, with one exception so far. The game Primal. This is one of my favorite ones. I will add a DXDiag of my system so you can take a looksy at it. Here lies the issues.

Upon firing the game up, I went through the whole boot up, intro, and start new game just fine. When the opening cinematic started, it was all black, and the sound was all reverbish/ robot voices. I read up on a few things, and got the opening cinematic to work by setting my GSD to DirectX3D11 (Software), only this time, they were in slow motion, and sounded drunk. The sound was in sync with the video though.

I read up a bit more on the forums, and ended up getting the game to smooth out some as far as the lag by tweaking in the Speedhack section/ EE Cyclerate to 3 and /VU Cycle Stealing to 1.

Now the problem I am having consists of when I get to certain areas in the game it slows to a crawl and hangs up a tad.

I understand that running an emu is cpu intensive, but I have had no issues running a Wii emu {Dolphin) playing Mario Cart. Also I run some decent RTS PC games (SC2, all Total War games), also BF3, BF4 beta, and many other high end games with no problem.

So in closing, any help on tweaking would be very helpful. I need no flaming on my rig, so plz don't troll me. I am running the 1.0.0v of your emu. Thank you in advance. Smile

Attached Files
.txt   pcsx2DxDiag.txt (Size: 32,21 KB / Downloads: 308)

Sponsored links

primal is quite demanding, and 2.6 Ghz won't be enough in most cases.
Quote:I understand that running an emu is cpu intensive, but I have had no issues running a Wii emu {Dolphin) playing Mario Cart. Also I run some decent RTS PC games (SC2, all Total War games), also BF3, BF4 beta, and many other high end games with no problem.
Running pcsx2 is particularly CPU intensive. Dolphin relies more on your GPU than pcsx2 does, and of course, comparing all this to running native pc games is a complete nonsense.
to make it short : your GPU isn't bad, you CPU is a bit weak.
Pcsx2 unfortunately uses more your CPU than pc games or Dolphin.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Right on, I was wondering why it would only lag on certain areas of the game is the issue? The spots are not full of all the bells and whistles (graphically speaking lol). I will mess with the settings more and maybe get a piece of info from the forums then. Still, any ideas on the emu settings, feel free to hit me up. Smile
Primal specifically runs extremely slow in PCSX2. It's not a matter of PCSX2 uses more CPU/GPU than native games (which it does, but still most games run decently on a modern system), but this specific game is apparently very hard for PCSX2 to emulate.
I did some research into the matter. It seems that is the case. All in all, you all did a bang up job on your emu so far. TY for the response, if anything changes to remedy the load on this game, plz feel free to post an update thread. In the meantime, keep up the good work.