Problems configuring pcsx2
(01-18-2018, 01:28 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I'm just making suggestions based on my experience with both AMD Phenom II X6 series processors as well as AMD FX-8300 series processors both of which are still good processors and depending which one your using can achieve STP ratings anywhere from 1300 to 1800.
probably missed it, but which ones do have an STR around 1800 ?
Quote: Also aside from PCSX2 both processors are still really good for everyday PC gaming. Sure beats most Intel processors that only have 4 cores
more cores<>better gaming performances.
but i suppose you already know this....
Quote: which if PCSX2 was optimized better and utilized more than just 2-3 cores there wouldn't be a need for such high STP ratings in the few cores PCSX2 does use. But until that optimization happens PCSX2 is always gonna be prone to under performing on most computers. Hence why people are always on the forums complaining about the performance of PCSX2. It's a fantastic emulator but it also needs a lot of work specifically with that and I would love nothing more than to help but I suffer a chronic pain condition that would make it nearly impossible.
still, you can make suggestions.
what could we thread on a 4th core ? what would be feasible ?
Quote:As for Windows 10 it's a shame what Microsoft has done by forcing updates onto people's computers whether they want them or not. Not to mention all the data collection Microsoft tries to collect under that OS. Rumor has it Microsoft is actually starting to have legal problems over both the forced updates and data collection. That's two good reasons to stick with Windows 7 or Linux.
Linux, then.
windows 7 ending support is a potential security problem
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

This thread is getting off topic but in answer to some of your questions as far as the Phenom II X6 series go the highest STR is right around 1300 on the 1090 and 1100T. As for the FX series the highest STR is around 1700-1800 on the 9370 and 9590. Those processors are listed as part of the 8300 series I'm assuming they're listed that way because they also have 8 cores and are part of the same manufacturing batch if you know what I mean.

Of course I emulate a lot of systems where cores aren't quite as important. But I'm also a PC gamer which a lot of games do in fact utilize more than 4 cores. So yeah in my opinion more cores are better for PC gaming and emulation if you do both.

As for what would be feasible to put on a 4th core that's one question I honestly can't answer for you jesalvein perhaps that's something you might wanna ask the PCSX2 dev team about. What can we do better to utilize CPU's with 4 or more cores in order to improve the overall performance of our emulator?

Lastly just because support ends for a particular operating system doesn't mean it poses a security problem. As long as you protect it with a good security program your fine. Linux is a fantastic operating system as well.
(01-18-2018, 10:22 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: Of course I emulate a lot of systems where cores aren't quite as important. But I'm also a PC gamer which a lot of games do in fact utilize more than 4 cores. So yeah in my opinion more cores are better for PC gaming and emulation if you do both.
depends if tasks can be performed in parallels.
in pc gaming, maybe.
in emulation, that's a whole differenent matter, especially with PS2
Quote:As for what would be feasible to put on a 4th core that's one question I honestly can't answer for you jesalvein perhaps that's something you might wanna ask the PCSX2 dev team about. What can we do better to utilize CPU's with 4 or more cores in order to improve the overall performance of our emulator?
to my point of view, and from the dev's PoV (it has been discussed many times, actually), absolutely nothing.
that's why i asked you, maybe you had an idea we missed.
or maybe emulating the sound chip on a separate core. but that would be a lot of code rewriting to get maybe 2% performance improvement
Quote:Lastly just because support ends for a particular operating system doesn't mean it poses a security problem. As long as you protect it with a good security program your fine. Linux is a fantastic operating system as well.
Unfortunately, that's not how things work.
security holes in an OS can't be corrected by a good AV.
If you think this way, you have risks to get infected before your AV database is updated.
Remember WannaCry ?
it infected unupdated computers (those using Winxp, especially) even if they had an antivirus.
Updated OSes didn't have any kind of problem.
I understand why you were asking. Sadly though I can't think of anything that's why I kinda left that question up to you. Unless it's possible to run each component of the EE on it's own core. But that would require pretty much a complete rewrite. Not exactly a feasible suggestion. At some point though somthing will need to be done. You don't want PCSX2 to end up as the ps2 version of bsnes. They claim the reason that emulator under performs is due to accurate emulation but people don't notice any difference in how games look or play that's why most people prefer emulators like snes9x over bsnes.

On to operating systems of course there are always security holes in any operating system. That's why it's important regardless of operating system to keep your security program up to date. There is no truly safe platform look at the krack exploit.
(01-18-2018, 09:53 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: You don't want PCSX2 to end up as the ps2 version of bsnes.
Actually, that's exactly what we aim at Laugh
Quote:On to operating systems of course there are always security holes in any operating system. That's why it's important regardless of operating system to keep your security program up to date.
...and it can't be done if support ended. no new updates released...
(01-18-2018, 09:53 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: On to operating systems of course there are always security holes in any operating system. That's why it's important regardless of operating system to keep your security program up to date. There is no truly safe platform look at the krack exploit.

Security programs won't stop OS level security exploits. If you value your personal taste in utility more than information security, that's your own directive, but know that using an unsupported OS is like playing Halo with the black eye skull and refusing to melee. Your shields will drop quickly, and they will never come back once they're gone.
I know that's one of the reasons I really like PCSX2. The only point I've been trying to make is there has to be a way to balance that accuracy with performance. That's the main problem people have with PCSX2. I'm sure you respond to a ton of post's every day by people who have good PC's but question why PCSX2 under performs and that's a valid question. If your not utilizing the full potential of the CPU of course it's gonna under perform and require high STP ratings. That's my whole point. I've got nothing further to add to that subject.

With operating systems official updates may stop. But that's where your security software steps in and protects you against security risks like the one you mentioned. Even on new operating systems with official updates if you don't use a good security program and you rely solely on official updates your at an even greater risk because a lot of times official updates aren't released until after several computers are already infected. I'm sure you've heard of that happening many times. A good security program regardless what OS you use will essentially patch a security risk and protect you from it in much the same way as an official update would. And with that I've got nothing further to add on that subject.

Take care.
(01-19-2018, 01:11 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I know that's one of the reasons I really like PCSX2. The only point I've been trying to make is there has to be a way to balance that accuracy with performance. That's the main problem people have with PCSX2. I'm sure you respond to a ton of post's every day by people who have good PC's but question why PCSX2 under performs and that's a valid question. If your not utilizing the full potential of the CPU of course it's gonna under perform and require high STP ratings. That's my whole point. I've got nothing further to add to that subject.

With operating systems official updates may stop. But that's where your security software steps in and protects you against security risks like the one you mentioned. Even on new operating systems with official updates if you don't use a good security program and you rely solely on official updates your at an even greater risk because a lot of times official updates aren't released until after several computers are already infected. I'm sure you've heard of that happening many times. A good security program regardless what OS you use will essentially patch a security risk and protect you from it in much the same way as an official update would. And with that I've got nothing further to add on that subject.

Take care.

simple don't connect to the internet anymore let say you have a old computer with winXP on it don't connect to the net and you be fine.. just file transfer from your files came from your new computer to your old computer using your usb flash drive or external hard drive....
just make your old riggy totally offline.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
I have a problem running the emulator, I have a ryzen 3 with vega 6 at 3.4 GHz, 12 RAM and windows 10 of 64 bits, the problem is the fps frequency that is 30 or lower in some parts, it have a solution?
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.