Problems running involving sound and graphics both
I have recently gotten an emulator for the first time. This was the first, by the way, and was followed by Dolphin and VBA. However, I have had issues running most games on PCSX2, namely involving sound.

Testing with Tales of The Abyss, I found that sound speeds up and slows down constantly, essentially turning an excellent opening song into warped crap. Finally fixing that problem by setting the Latency to lowest, the Timestretch advanced settings to highest, the graphics to DX9 Software, and then ignoring the very, very slight persisting speedup/slowdown.
However, after doing so, my game slowed down to a sum total of about half speed, rendering it unplayable unless I wished to be an old action star every time I tried moving anywhere. Any change in settings returns the massive speedup/slowdown of all sound, but I can't play it otherwise.

As for a dxdiag of my computer hardware:
Processor: AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.5GHz
RAM: 6 Gigs
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6620G Dual-Core
Sound: Beats speakers (built into the laptop)
It's an HP Pavilion DV6, and can run Crysis 2, so I doubt the issue is hardware, though it IS possible, I suppose. It is just over a year and a half old.

Edit: Oddly enough, I just noticed that I have 0.9.8, and not the newest version. I'm going to update to the newest version, then report back.

Edit: Having tried running 1.0.0, I have found that the audio has returned to its original, horrible state of being total warped crap. Joy.

Edit again: Sound fixed again; however, I do not know how well it will run now. Let's hope it runs at more than half speed.

Yet another edit: The problem persists.

Yet another edit, again: Followed instructions of Saiki's low-end v1.0.0 settings. Starting PCSX2 back up, I recieved an error about not being able to find a plugin.

Edit: Just checked, and said plugin is, in fact, exactly where it is supposed to be. Going to restore the original .ini settings from the .7z backup I made.

More Edits: The game has now returned to playing at half speed. Why. Just why.

Please god let this be the final edit: Changing around a few more settings, I have a game running at what I am pretty sure is full speed, with the absolute lowest possible sound quality, that randomly has half-second-long lag spikes. It works. But I wish I could have non-horrid sound quality, because this sound is seriously terrible now.

1984: Sound for skits in Tales of the Abyss have disappeared. I assume they have voicing for skits, at least, as the music got quiet, and his mouth was moving along with the words he was saying. So I am STILL having sound problems.

Sponsored links

pc specs for PC games, and emulation are 2 different things
(08-17-2013, 09:22 PM)Saiki Wrote: pc specs for PC games, and emulation are 2 different things
How so? I understand that they wouldn't matter as much, but they'd still be a factor, correct?
You need to read saki's guide below 2.4 dual which is very nic and surely you can improve the performance of your game.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-17-2013, 09:24 PM)mitch1224 Wrote: How so? I understand that they wouldn't matter as much, but they'd still be a factor, correct?

on a 2.2 ghz pentium (dual) I was able to run crysis on high settings (except shadows)
(08-17-2013, 09:24 PM)mitch1224 Wrote: How so? I understand that they wouldn't matter as much, but they'd still be a factor, correct?

no emulation is different and native pc games are different things . Like you compaire an apple with a car :-P
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-17-2013, 09:28 PM)Saiki Wrote: on a 2.2 ghz pentium (dual) I was able to run crysis on high settings (except shadows)

Fair enough, but I can run Crysis 2 at recommended or higher settings with near-unnoticeable drop in FPS. It's by no means a bad computer, and the lowest point is the graphics card, but I can still run brand-new games relatively well. The slowest game I have is Bioshock Infinite, and I can run it on medium settings well.
clearly you missed my point? my 2.2 at the time, BARELY ran most PS2 games
You are an 16 year old guy so its possible to hear question like that from you . Read mY ABOVE POST and Sakis one too.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-17-2013, 09:34 PM)Saiki Wrote: clearly you missed my point? my 2.2 at the time, BARELY ran most PS2 games

I did, then. As the other person helping (sorry to that guy, haven't been replying to your comments) recommended your low-end settings thread, would you kindly explain what effects it would have on appearance and visible changes in-game?

And thank you both for your help, by the way.