Problems with performance in pcsx2
Hello, 
I have a dell inspiron 15r 5537. It has a i7 4500u @2.8ghz, 8gb of ddr3l ram @1600mhz, a amd radeon 8850m 2gb dedicated graphics chip. (Its a laptop)
I was trying to run my old gta libertcity ps2 port. 
Well.. my laptop dont have a cd drive anymore so i made a iso of my original game, and tested in my dektop, that in standard resolutions runned the game pretty well. Then i took the iso (made with imgburn), and put in the laptop that i described above. 
The game runs pretty bad, ther beggining (when you have to drive vinchenso to his safehouse) runs at 17fps, but it dont use any of mu resources! Both pcs run the latest version of windows 10 and have all the drivers updated. Even tho my desktop is way better than the laptop, i cant take it with me.
I took a print and it has:
17,62fps
Cpu-39%
Ram-782,5mb
Disk(hdd)-0%
Network(obviuslly 0%)
And gpu-54% 
(All of this in my laptop)

I am using the latest buildbot version (1.5.0), that never gave me problems and a 1.60 us bios that os the closest  to the one in my real ps2). I used the default configuration (even window resolution), with dx11. I got double the performance enabling 8bit textures, disabling mipmaping puting interlacing in none (was in automatic), texture filtering in nearest.
But yet the game runs pretty much slow from 34-46fps.

And as showed, the emulator doesnt even try to use any of my resources to get a better performance. 

So how can i fix this?

Sponsored links

not much you can do but enable high performance power plan, try mtvu speedhack, and hope. since you have an amd card you should ofc run it in dx11 mode, not opengl. that's about it, i think.

what you could still post are the EE, VU and GS numbers, so we can guess what the bottleneck is.
(03-13-2018, 03:50 PM)dabore Wrote: not much you can do but enable high performance power plan, try mtvu speedhack, and hope. since you have an amd card you should ofc run it in dx11 mode, not opengl. that's about it, i think.

what you could still post are the EE, VU and GS numbers, so we can guess what the bottleneck is.
I am using it plugged to the outlet, and in high performance mode awready. I am using it in dx11 and was about to ask if opengl would be better. 

The speed hack i done too toghether with all those configs i said before, forgot to mention that, i was using the preset 4-agressive (dont know if this is the mtvu hack).

Where is located the ee, vu and gs numbers?(edit nevermind, found it)
Ee:41% gs:70% but ingame gs varies from 50 to 89%.

Dont know why, but sometimes the emulator gets a peak in performance getting 60fps in about 2seconds, at the same time is when it uses 100% gpu usage, but most of the time it wont use all my gpu capabilities nor my processor ones.
So there isnt a way to make the emulator use 100% of my hardware, to maintain a goo framerate?
Because you have an i7 it will never use 100% of your processor since it only uses a few threads at any given time (less if not using mtvu - muti threaded vu).

Your CPU is not particularly slow or fast in single threaded operations it falls right about at the recomemded level of performance for non high drmanding games, but just in that range. The slowest part of the emulation is when your CPU is translating the PS2 code into something that can be run on a PC CPU and GPU. Your laptop should be able to handle a reasonable percentage of games with reasonable performance (slowdowns here and there in heavier scenes), but this is highly dependent on your CPU being able to hit max turbo frequency and maintain it. (Settings are one part, but heat is another vital part). What are the temprature readings while you are playing and what frequency is your CPU hitting and more importantly remaining on most of the time while playing.
(03-14-2018, 03:12 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Because you have an i7 it will never use 100% of your processor since it only uses a few threads at any given time (less if not using mtvu - muti threaded vu).

Your CPU is not particularly slow or fast in single threaded operations it falls right about at the recomemded level of performance for non high drmanding games, but just in that range.  The slowest part of the emulation is when your CPU is translating the PS2 code into something that can be run on a PC CPU and GPU.  Your laptop should be able to handle a reasonable percentage of games with reasonable performance (slowdowns here and there in heavier scenes), but this is highly dependent on your CPU being able to hit max turbo frequency and maintain it.  (Settings are one part, but heat is another vital part).  What are the temprature readings while you are playing and what frequency is your CPU hitting and more importantly remaining on most of the time while playing.
I tried now mtvu, didnt make much changes. 
The cpu clock stays at 2.69ghz most of the time, but sometimes it gets to 2.93ghz (the turbo with all cores) 
The temperatures are (measured with speccy):
I7 4500u - 56°c (sometimes it gets up to 64°c if am using it on my lap)
Amd radeon 8850m - 50°c
Hdd- 40°c. 

The speccy readings on this computer are completly right as some months ago i had acess to a infrared thermometer (these ones that look like pistols), and the readings are correct, speedfan is a bit off, so i dont use it.