Project Zero (crc 22e91837) strange flickering.
Hi everybody,
I wanted to try the game `Project Zero` (crc 22e91837), but unfortunately it is unplayable because the screen flickers violently.

The console continuously continues to give messages like this one:
Code:
ZZogl-PG:  Dummy Frame fbw:0x280 fbh:0x260 psm:0x31 fbp:0x1180
ZZogl-PG:       Dummy Targets(0x2801180) fbw:0x280 fbh:0xe0 psm:0x31 fbp:0x1180
ZZogl-PG:       Dummy Targets(0x2802900) fbw:0x280 fbh:0x260 psm:0x30 fbp:0x2900
ZZogl-PG:       Dummy Targets(0x2801180) fbw:0x280 fbh:0x260 psm:0x31 fbp:0x1180
ZZogl-PG:  Dummy it->second fbw:0x280 fbh:0x260 psm:0x31 fbp:0x1180

I tried the other GS plug-in: GSDx and it works fine, but since it only support SDL unaccelerated output is a little slow.

So I tried searching around and I found an attachment of a console output with similar messages, but I could not find the related thread so I cannot be sure if a workaround has already posted.

So I am here to ask: is there a way to fix and using ZZogl? What can I try?
Thanks.

Here are some other information you might find useful.
PCSX2 version: 0.9.9.0 (svn) Feb 29 2012
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux exdde 3.2.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 26 08:40:20 CET 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

$ glxinfo | grep '^dire\|^Ope'
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTS 250/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Sponsored links

ZZogl log message are only printed in debug build. A release build will be a little faster. Anyway, you can try the speedhack inside zzogl.

I port GSdx hardware to opengl on a svn branch. It is not finished and full of bug but it seems to be not too bad on nvidia hardware. Maybe you can give it a try.
Probably I was not clear, zzogl problem is not the speed. The zzogl problem is a terrible flickering, imagine that a frame appears correctly and the next one appears like 50 pixels moved down, again correctly, again moved down...

In another game I play (Disgaea CRC 4d2cac9d) zzogl works fine and there are no recurring messages in the console output; so I suspected that something worked wrong.

GSdx on the other hand works fine, but in the starting game scene the frame rate is about 40 fps. It is still playable, but I am afraid that it will slow down in the more intense parts.
Ok I did not understand well. I don't think anybody is working on zzogl for the moment so your best bet is to try all hacks. Besides the issue seems related to the hardware cache management which is by far the most complex/unstable part of the plugin.

GSdx-ogl (GPU accelerated) is normally faster than GSdx SDL (CPU accelerated). The only issue is the code instability.
GSdx-ogl t is worth a try. Can you please tell me the svn command to download it? sorry for the lazyness, but you probably know it by memory...
You know my memory is quite short, fortunately my PC has a bigger one Tongue2
Code:
svn checkout https://pcsx2.googlecode.com/svn/branches/gsdx-ogl

By the way, you can select the exact revision later with a command like that
Code:
# revision 5000
svn update -r 5000
Some revision can work better than others.
Ok I did not understand well. I don't think anybody is working on zzogl for the moment so your best bet is to try all hacks. Besides the issue seems related to the hardware cache management which is by far the most complex/unstable part of the plugin.