Resolved: Final Fantasy X - Internal Resolution Scaling Incorrect During Gameplay/Cutscenes
PCSX2 Nightly v1.7.2050
Specs: CPU- Intel I7-8700k
          GPU- NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti

Observed in FFX (and likely the other FF titles) that during certain cutscenes/events that if you use any Internal Resolution other than default will cause various graphical issues.  This is observed early in FFX in the first cutscene after meeting Auron for the first time, but happens in pretty much all underwater segments and some other cutscenes/battles (such as the underwater battle against Geosgaeno).

No HW hacks, though I went through and tested all of them individually and none of them affected the problem in any way.  Also tried all the Texture Filtering options, no dice there either.

Tested both OGL and DX renderers with same issue observed on both.  SW renderer unaffected (though since it can't upscale that's a moot point).

An issue for this was fixed two and a half years ago and does *not* exist in 1.6.0 Stable, so I believe it's a regression that's cropped up somewhat recently.

Link to old issue report, for reference (since it looks like the same issue):

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/2961

Can't test X-II or XII right now (can't find my old disks :/), but I wouldn't be shocked if they were also affected.

EDIT

Doing a bisect now; should have results in a half-hour or so.

EDIT2

Still in work, was working as of late-September so this is *very* recent.

Sponsored links

Got the first revision with a build that has the problem: v.1.7.2006.  The last working build that has a build was v1.7.2003.  I think one of the revisions between those builds introduced the problem.  The candidates are:

v1.7.2004 - GameDB: Clean-up V2 Some minor typo clean-up and fix japanese serials.
v1.7.2005 - GS: Don't propagate 24bit textures on download
v1.7.2005-1-g2e1d147135 - GS: Faster accurate_stq calculations
v1.7.2005-2-g5d33165fa5 - GS: Reduce repeated code in GSVertexTrace::FindMinMax Why repeat things when you can make the compiler repeat them for you
v1.7.2005-3-gbd8fcc8f81 - GS: Remove inaccurate stq calculations from GSVertexTrace They were the same speed or slower than full div on IvyBridge+ and Bulldozer+

It's likely one of the intererm v1.7.2005 changes that broke increasing the Internal Resolution on FFX.
Can you provide a GS dump please? There are instructions on how to do that here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-c...er-GS-dump
if you could use the version it worked on (just for backwards compatibility checking of the dump).
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-20-2021, 02:03 AM)refraction Wrote: Can you provide a GS dump please? There are instructions on how to do that here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-c...er-GS-dump
if you could use the version it worked on (just for backwards compatibility checking of the dump).

I've got dumps for both the working and broken builds, but can't get them to upload due to the 2.1MB limit (the dumps come in at around 2.3MB (broken) and 2.5MB (working)).  They're not compressing nice either.
use a 3rd party file upload site like filedropper.com

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwhhnn1n8vhblf...ps.7z?dl=0

Included both the working and broken GS dumps plus screenshot. Took them at about the same point in rendering as best as I could.
Thanks, I can reproduce it, we'll look in to it

(11-20-2021, 04:04 AM)refraction Wrote: Thanks, I can reproduce it, we'll look in to it

No problem.
This should be fixed in the latest dev builds now Smile

I'm still finding this an issue with the majority of FMVs (cut-scenes) in FFX. I am currently playing through the game at 2x resolution. There have been a few that played with no issues and toggling with F9 between hardware->software->hardware allows the troublesome FMVs to complete with no flickering.

I tested and got the same results with v1.7.2083 (AVX2) & v1.7.2003 (AVX2) and changing between the default resolution and upscaling to 2x using the two FMVs when the airship takes off for the first time on the way to finding Yuna. The only time the FMVs would not flicker is in software mode.

I have a save state that I can provide.