Q2 2016 progress report
(06-18-2016, 01:42 AM)Canes Wrote: Anyways, was super excited about that fix on the Snowblind engine games. Unfortunately Witcher 3 on a toaster would still run faster...probably.
Fast texture Invalidation does noting, at least for me.
Not there yet I guess, but good progress guys.

What about allow 8-bit textures?

Sponsored links

It could be due to AMD driver. FlatOut didn't have a speed bonus neither.

I'm currently running on the free Nouveau driver. And I have a speedboost too.
Thank you very much for the report.

(06-17-2016, 11:28 AM)Bositman Wrote: These two improvements combined provided a major speed boost for Snowblind engine games. They are almost two times faster now! If you have a good processor with an Nvidia GPU then you should be able to enjoy them in full upscaled glory now!

So only the OpenGL renderer has improved, and only Nvidia GPU users benefit from these improvements?
No, it is also faster on the Dx renderer (but less). Nobody test Intel GPU neither AMD free driver, so you can't conlude that it is limited to Nvidia GPU.

The new code is in GSdx frontend, to reduce cpu usage in internal GSdx texture management, so normally it oughts to work for everyone. But it seems AMD driver slow everything down.
(06-18-2016, 12:00 PM)gregory Wrote: No, it is also faster on the Dx renderer (but less). Nobody test Intel GPU neither AMD free driver, so you can't conlude that it is limited to Nvidia GPU.

The new code is in GSdx frontend, to reduce cpu usage in internal GSdx texture management, so normally it oughts to work for everyone. But it seems AMD driver slow everything down.
Intel iGPU is just as slow as AMD, so it's basically limited to Nvidia and maybe linux for the other vendors if the drivers are much better.
(06-18-2016, 08:00 AM)dogen Wrote: What about allow 8-bit textures?

Nope, nothing different from that either, just alternates between about 6% extra CPU usage or about 4% GPU usage, but no speed difference or anything.

(06-18-2016, 10:34 AM)gregory Wrote: It could be due to AMD driver. FlatOut didn't have a speed bonus neither.

I'm currently running on the free Nouveau driver. And I have a speedboost too.

That could be it since I am running an AMD card. Seems lately AMD users get the short stick to mostly everything, no fun.
(06-18-2016, 01:58 PM)Canes Wrote: Nope, nothing different from that either, just alternates between about 6% extra CPU usage or about 4% GPU usage, but no speed difference or anything.

That could be it since I am running an AMD card. Seems lately AMD users get the short stick to mostly everything, no fun.
FTI should show 5-15% more performance on AMD and Intel(it's 100% on Nvidia). 8-bit textures can bring about the same. So if there's absolutely no improvement when both FTI and 8bits textures are on, something is definitely wrong other than just having an AMD GPU.
(06-18-2016, 02:07 PM)FlatOut Wrote: FTI should show 5-15% more performance on AMD and Intel(it's 100% on Nvidia). 8-bit textures can bring about the same. So if there's absolutely no improvement when both FTI and 8bits textures are on, something is definitely wrong other than just having an AMD GPU.

Absolutely no speed improvement at all from either of those options, for me at least.
Also, for the Snowblind engine games, software mode runs significantly worse than hardware mode.

UPDATE: Okay, tested it again and with 8bits textures on, there is a slight speed increase, about 4% (only for Snowblind).
Nothing from FTI.

UPDATE2: Whop, okay now it went to about 11% speed increase (Snowblind) with 8bit on. Nothing from FTI.
Maybe it's area specific?
(06-18-2016, 02:11 PM)Canes Wrote: Absolutely no speed improvement at all from either of those options, for me at least.
Also, for the Snowblind engine games, software mode runs significantly worse than hardware mode.

UPDATE: Okay, tested it again and with 8bits textures on, there is a slight speed increase, about 4% (only for Snowblind).
Nothing from FTI.

UPDATE2: Whop, okay now it went to about 11% speed increase (Snowblind) with 8bit on. Nothing from FTI.
Maybe it's area specific?
Some area's are more prone to the slowdown, and thus will see a bigger improvement from the fix. The 8bit textures makes a small improvement on OGL, but with DX11 it's massive improvement.
(06-18-2016, 02:32 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Some area's are more prone to the slowdown, and thus will see a bigger improvement from the fix. The 8bit textures makes a small improvement on OGL, but with DX11 it's massive improvement.

I agree, there is a speed increase of about 5-15% as you said for 8-bit on (Snowblind only). But nothing yet from Fast Texture Invalidation. At this point I doubt I'll ever see one that'll justify calling it an improvement. Poor AMD users Sad