Question About A Potential Bug with Turbo and Framelimiter in Dragon Quest 8
So I have been playing the US NTSC version of DQ8, after playing for awhile with turbo or framelimit off, from as little as 30 seconds, the fps will crash down to about 50% emulation speed with max GPU usage and vram usage jumping 500 MB higher. It is fixed temporarily by disabling and reenabling turbo/framelimiter, or even moving the mouse across the emulation's window. The vram and GPU usage go back to normal with this. At most, during normal play roughly 6-700 MB vram is used, when the bug hits it jumps to roughly 11-1200 MB, I have 3500ish MB vram so that is likely not the issue.

I have reproduced the results on the current release build 1.4, and also a beta build 1.5 from 2-3 days ago, with a variety of emulation settings including the safest, safe, and balanced presets, nothing else touched including speedhacks. Multithread microVU is off, have tried on as well. I have had this happen with the hardware dx9, dx11,and openGL plugins with a variety of settings.

My main question is. has anyone else has encountered something similar in any game? Second question, did you resolve the issue and also how?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you think you can help me fix this I will be eternally grateful as it is incredibly annoying to have the game crash to slow motion so often.

Desktop PC specs
Windows 10
intel i5 4690k @ 4GHz
Nvidia GTX 970

edit: Specified that this was a desktop pc

Sponsored links

i was playing it last night and i noticed this happening as well and was really confused as to why it was happening, and then i seen your post just now it wasn't just me. I also noticed that if i put it on native x5 it would go to a crawl just a few fps, but when i went back to native x4 it went smoother, till the next fps drop episode. So for me Native 5 just broke the game basically. But everything you experienced i experienced, i wonder if native 5 breaks ur game as it did mine.
(03-25-2017, 06:18 AM)caseyj2017 Wrote: i was playing it last night and i noticed this happening as well and was really confused as to why it was happening, and then i seen your post just now it wasn't just me. I also noticed that if i put it on native x5 it would go to a crawl just a few fps, but when i went back to native x4 it went smoother, till the next fps drop episode.  So for me Native 5 just broke the game basically.  But everything you experienced i experienced, i wonder if native 5 breaks ur game as it did mine.

I was testing again just now and noticed the effect gets larger as the internal resolution is increased. It was much more pronounced at x3 and x4, compared to native and x2.

In essence, I agree with you that the internal resolution is a factor on the harshness of the fps hit.
I have set a macro on my controller to fire when I press the L3 button because I believe it is unused in DQ8. Thought I would share this solution as I know how annoying to have to go from controller to keyboard and back again so often. Any other solutions are welcome and appreciated, although this is more of a temporary fix than a solution.