Question About PS2 Discs
I'm just curious, I know that if you extract the contents of a PS2 ISO and rebuild the ISO from the output folder, the new ISO will work just fine in PCSX2 (I know this because I have done this to make small edits to certain games).

My question is this, if you use the "Launch ELF" command, browse to an ISO that is mounted and select the SLES_XXX.XX file, the game will load like you have used a normal plugin. However, if you try to open the SLES_XXX.XX file while the contents of the game are not inside an ISO or physical DVD (i.e extracted to a folder), the game will not load and you will always get a black screen.

I am simply curious to know why this happens, if someone could enlighten me, I would be very grateful.

Sponsored links

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do exactly.
My hunch is that you're trying to run the PS2 executable from a location
other than where the game files are.
Doing that will definitely cause all kinds of failures Tongue2
well, how should the SLES_XXX.XX file know where you put your game files to?

its like using your car keys in your trunk lock and wondering why the engine doesn't start.
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
I am trying to run a PS2 game outside of an ISO or disc by extracting the contents of the ISO to a folder and running the main .ELF in PCSX2.

All the files required by the game are in the extracted folder, like they would be on a disc. I assumed that the directory that the .ELF files use to load their files are relative to the directory they are currently in, not a specific directory.
i could be wrong, but i asume the executable needs the game files to be in a "ps2-filesystem"??, if they are just extracted into the same folder, they are stored in a fat32/ntfs-filesystem, which cant be read by a ps2-executable?

really dont know, just speculating Blink

what kind of filesystem do ps2-games use? udf?
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
There's different ways for games to address files.
Generally though all files need to be on a (virtual) disk, meaning they have the correct sector sizes and stuff.
What you're trying to do is impossible right now.
There has to be an additional step that encases all files in the folder in some "fake" iso which has to be mounted.

(I'm no expert in this, I can just tell you what'll work and what not Tongue2 )