Question about Clamping Mode and Round Mode
(09-08-2014, 11:11 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: As I said, I didn't notice any issues. But possible issues are basically the same issues they fix.

And as far as my other post, we continued the discussion in IRC. Rama decided instead of using the gameindex.dbf, he wanted to try to find the root of the problem and fix it. I sent him a memory card with my save and he was able to reproduce the issue. From there, I don't know if any progress has been made or not.

I went ahead and included a link to my save state in that forum post as well, hopefully that helps with the debugging of the issue. Glad to hear it's being worked on as opposed to deciding to use the workaround.

And sorry I didn't specify but what I meant to ask is what sort of issues should I be on the look out for in other games if I leave those settings on in order to play FFX without the backwards characters issue. Nobbs66 gave me a good example though. Thanks again Laugh
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU

Sponsored links

You should just put them back to default when you change games.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Even better, custom configs for each game with pcsx2 bonus.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(09-08-2014, 11:25 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Even better, custom configs for each game with pcsx2 bonus.

Yeah I was thinking of doing something along those lines. Blyss Sarania probably knows what I'm talking about lol

BTW I added the issue to the wiki
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Final_Fa...own_Issues
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
(09-08-2014, 10:44 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Rounding and clamping have to do with the way PCSX2 converts PS2 style floating point numbers to PC style floating point numbers. There was a good explanation made by one of the devs, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. As for problems, they should be left at default unless they are needed to fix something. However, when I played FFX international, there were 0 issues caused by the alternate settings and I left them on about 75% of the game.

(09-08-2014, 10:47 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: here is the article on clamping written by cottonvibes.
http://pcsx2.net/developer-blog/209-what...ed-it.html

Alright so I read the article. Now I understand what the different options mean. Thanks again for that link. But what about rounding? Is there a post somewhere for that? Or could someone tell me how the different options change the way the emulator rounds? I can imagine that "Chop/Zero" is no rounding and that "Nearest" is the most accurate rounding that the emulator can do. But what about the other two options? What do "Negative" and "Positive" do?

(09-08-2014, 11:12 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Setting clamping to none messes up the walk animation on Ratchet and Clank. Some glitches can be minor and some break the game like the example I just gave.

I'm assuming you tried this to see if you could eek out some more performance? Or were you trying to fix some other glitch?

BTW why is it called "Round Mode" and not "Rounding Mode"?

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
So full of questions.

I suspect it's called "Round mode" for the same reason it's called "PCSX2" - because that's what they decided to call it.

As for negative/positive here you go:

Quote:20.6 Rounding Modes

Floating-point calculations are carried out internally with extra precision, and then rounded to fit into the destination type. This ensures that results are as precise as the input data. IEEE 754 defines four possible rounding modes:

Round to nearest:
This is the default mode. It should be used unless there is a specific need for one of the others. In this mode results are rounded to the nearest representable value. If the result is midway between two representable values, the even representable is chosen. Even here means the lowest-order bit is zero. This rounding mode prevents statistical bias and guarantees numeric stability: round-off errors in a lengthy calculation will remain smaller than half of FLT_EPSILON.

Round toward plus Infinity:

All results are rounded to the smallest representable value which is greater than the result.

Round toward minus Infinity:
All results are rounded to the largest representable value which is less than the result.

Round toward zero:

All results are rounded to the largest representable value whose magnitude is less than that of the result. In other words, if the result is negative it is rounded up; if it is positive, it is rounded down.

From: http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/...nding.html

The PCSX2 rounding modes are the same, I believe.

So Positive is "All results are rounded to the smallest representable value which is greater than the result" and negative is "All results are rounded to the largest representable value which is less than the result"
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-09-2014, 03:17 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: So full of questions.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing Tongue

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'm still not too clear on how to mess with the options for Round Mode though. For clamping it seems a bit more obvious: 'None' means no clamping whatsoever, which I would imagine you want to try out if you need to get more performance for a game, 'Normal' is just that the normal amount of clamping used as a balance between compatibility and performance, 'Extra + Preserve Sign' is to get a bit more precise with the clamping (to see if it fixes an issue with a game) without affecting performance too much and then 'Full' is just the most PCSX2 can do as far as getting as close as possible to the way the PS2 works with floats, so you would try that option if 'Extra + Preserve Sign' is just not enough to fix the issue you're having within a game. But with Round Mode? I'm still not entirely sure in which way you should try using the settings. Is 'nearest' the less intensive one and 'Chop/Zero' the most compatible one? Or is it the other way around? Or is it neither? So confusing! lol

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Chop/Zero is the least intensive rounding mode, since no math has to be done. The other three should be similar in requirements. As for which one to try, if you have a problem you just try them, no specific order needed.
Okay cool. Thanks for all the help! Laugh

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games