Question about INTC Sync Hack and Persona 4
Hey guys,

I got a question which is hopefully not that noob-like: I once played through Persona 4 with this emulator. And recently, I started again duing this. And now, I discovered the page of the pcsx2-wiki about it: http://pcsx2.wikia.com/wiki/Shin_Megami_..._Persona_4

But there is one fact confusing me: I experimented much with the different speed hacks to finde out the ones working with this title. And I was always nerved, because the INTC Sync Hack doesn't work with it, since it seems to provide a nice speedup. But now, I read in the wiki, that this hack is working with the game. Also, the tester there said to have played the game with an average of 60 fps with an Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2,20 Ghz. And his comment is, that only one boss causes framedrops. But I had framedrops with about every boss and some of them were not that small. Also, I'm playing the PAL version of the game, where the maximum fps is 50, and not 60. I would never have reached that as an average, since the framerate went down in the end, when all party members are staying in front of a dungeon or at the foodcourt of Junes. And I have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 Ghz. Since quad processors have no advantage, I'm quite confused about this result.

The only difference is, that he used the INTC Sync Hack. But for me, I doesn't have any fps gain, it even makes the game a bit slower. To make a long story short: Do I have to configure something to make the INTC Sync Hack work or do I have to meet other conditions? And how is it possible, that there is a that big difference in fps? How should I configure the game to have it running that smooth? I'm using the latest version of the old gui, and the latest version of GSDX, SPU2-X, CDVD Gigahertz and Lilypad. I used older ones before, but this ones are faster for Persona 4.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, since Persona 4 is my most favorite game and I'd love to play it smooth on this great emulator!

To make things easier, here are my configurations:

GSDX DirectX 10 Hardware Mode
MicroVU on
EmotionEngine Sync Hack 1,5x
IOP x2 Cycle Rate enabled
Idle Loop Fast-Forward enabled
Status Flag Hack enabled
EE Recs and VU Recs Clamping Modes are both to none.

P.S.: My grafics card can't be limitating, since it's a HD4870^^.
Rejoice, they say. Color is back.

Sponsored links

Problem with those reports is they're not really accurate they're more a guideline most of the time... Persona 4 does need a pretty powerful machine to run 60fps on those places you mentioned probably a 3GHz C2D or so, for all we know the person that reported average 60fps maybe didn't get that far in the game.

There's not much you can do about it really, maybe use EE 2x Cycle Rate speedhack and turn off microvu.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
So you think it might be a problem of the PAL version, that the INTC Sync Hack isn't working? Since this is confusing me most, that this hack isn't working for me, but is said to do. But it would be the only reason I can think of for this. But it still is confusing me, that the wiki says, that the fps only drop for one boss. This would be so great^^.

I played with SuperVU the last time, but now with MicroVU for higher compatibility. It's just a difference of about 3 fps anyway and I can turn it out for bosses.

But thank, I'm trying out playing it with EE 2x Cycle Rate. 1,5x chops the audio in fmvs anyway^^.
SuperVU shouldn't have a problem with persona 4 as soon as you enable the gamefix.

The INTC Sync Hack just doesn't work the same for all games, I don't remember it being a difference for persona but shouldn't hurt either. if you mean the wiki it just says that was being used, doesn't say it would increase speed at all (unless I'm not reading that correctly).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(01-03-2010, 12:49 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: SuperVU shouldn't have a problem with persona 4 as soon as you enable the gamefix.

Well I do have some "stuttering" with it enabled, but I found out that I was remembering wrong. SuperVU doesn't bring a gain of about 2 fps, but about 7 and more^^. So I switched back, I can live with the stuttering, it's emulation after all.

(01-03-2010, 12:49 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: The INTC Sync Hack just doesn't work the same for all games, I don't remember it being a difference for persona but shouldn't hurt either. if you mean the wiki it just says that was being used, doesn't say it would increase speed at all (unless I'm not reading that correctly).

Well, I just thought to make something wrong, because this hack never worked for me at all. Nether for Persona 3 FES, nor Persona 4, nor Final Fantasy X, nor Rougue Galaxy or SMT: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call (but which was broken at that time anyway). I might be just my luck that the INTC Sync Hack just doesn't work with all these games, but I thought to ask since it made me sceptical. I mean, it is said to have to high compatibility after all^^.

By the way, I noticed something: I reloaded an old file from my memory from the end of the game, where the whole team is sitting at the food court or are standing at the meeting point in the TV world. And, if my memory doesn't tricks me again, I got way more fps than in my last playthrough. I mean, I have about 48 fps at both places. This is almost full speed for PAL. It seems that rama did a great job in working at GSDX, since there weren't many changes in the plugins at all, except SPU2-X. And I hardly doubt, that it is much faster now, since Jake is busy enough with the main emulator. But I'll see how big the increase really is when I arrive at the first bosses, since they really brought my system to the test. I'm still sceptical, this would really be much faster than 2 or 3 mounths ago, about 3-6 fps. Is this possible?
i'm not sure about others but i'm running persona 4 on a e2140 at 1.6 ghz, with speed hacks of course but the frame doesn't drop below 55 FPS, maybe only the PAL version has problems, oh a btw i'm almost at the end of the game, already started december
i've been playing p4 on the latest svn builds for the past few days.

my system:
q6600 @ 2.7ghz
8800gts 512mb

i'm using the latest gsdx and i have microVU on with the following speedhacks:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=22327]

with just these options i get full speed almost all the time except in certain fights or in very crowded places.
the game never goes under 50fps though; i have the ntsc version of the game.
the pal version is probably slower on pcsx2 as everyone seems to be noting.
Jake has made some posts about why pal games could be slower to emulate on pcsx2... This is probably one of those cases.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
Yes, I think now as well, that this is a problem with the PAL version. Because I now tried it with the new gui (I know that there's no support for it here) with your settings and ended up in a complete disaster^^. The fps were unstable even in dialogues and while walking through the school. I had the whole width, from 39 fps to 54 (what was pertty surprising^^) fps. The confusing fact is, that my processor was just working with about 50% or so. And the boss battle with Yukiko was at about 37-40 fps, pretty constant. With the old gui, I reached here about 47 fps. The appearence of the charming prince let it drop to 45 though^^. But it's faster than some months ago, noticable faster, about 2-3 fps. And I, once again, found out, why I should let my fingers off the new gui^^.
you should just buy the other version,i myself am trying to find somewhere to buy the japanese version, the english voice acting is really killing me
(01-03-2010, 06:48 PM)Deymos Wrote: you should just buy the other version,i myself am trying to find somewhere to buy the japanese version, the english voice acting is really killing me

Well I'll think about it. Since this really is my most favorite game (and I played a lot of good ones yet), I think I could do so. But it depense on the costs, because, after all, I'm buying a game twice^^. And I also succeeded in tweaking the emulator a bit more and I now reached about 50 fps in the Yukiko battle. Prince Charming throws me back to 48 though, not to speak of these unnerving beetles that crack my system since Persona 3^^.