Question about SVNs
Are they really needed? I mean I'm a paranoid updater and try to make sure things are at the latest and greatest so that I don't have to encounter bugs and what not, but since these are ever changing and not included with the stable release, is it possible that downloading them could cause MORE issues in the long run?
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770 - XFX build

Sponsored links

On big products, usually most of the "regular" updates are security fixes, and occasionally bug fixes. New features on these products arrive at the "big" (version) updates. On such products, it is indeed better to keep updated as much as you can.

However, PCSX2 uses a simpler model of updates:

1. "big" versions which are considered relatively stable, and are the release versions, and sometimes beta versions.

2. SVN - small changes whenever a developer makes any kind of change at the code. These can be anything from very minor stuff, to bug/games fixes, to big features which are not even complete yet. Hopefully and usually they're stable, but sometimes they're not and they can break stuff.

I think that PCSX2 1.0 is good enough to use daily. If I were you, I'd only consider SVN builds if you have some games which are broken somehow with the stable release version, so you could the latest SVN build a try, and if it appears stable, use it for this game.

Usually the SVN builds don't bring big speed improvements, if at all, and mostly fix stuff which affects few games.

If there are big improvements on SVN builds, then usually we test them for a while, and hopefully not too long afterwards a new stable version is released.

So if your games work good enough on the stable version, I wouldn't use SVN builds. If they don't, then try SVN builds which might fix them (don't hold your breath on that though).
Awesome. I appreciate the response. That makes sense.
The other way to look at it is than using the SVN you'd be helping to test it so that possible bugs introduced in one the builds don't propagate too far and becomes harder to pinpoint where it was introduced.

In general the SVN might fix specific bugs with certain games but at this point is not focused onto increasing performance, actually can have slight worse performance due to increased accuracy (and emulator's added features).
Imagination is where we are truly real
Well I'm a huge fan when it comes to accuracy of a system. If sounds or graphics are just a little bit off, it drives me wild, so maybe I should check those SVNs out. My rig is decent enough to take a little strain.
Make sure to read the comments on the revision you try, and also on few revisions just before it. They can tell you what changes were made recently, and if there are any known issues. E.g. there was a recent issue with memory cards, which might still exist (and is still being worked on to make sure it's good).

Look here: http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/list for the log of revisions, and you can go into each and read people's comments on that specific revision. If something's broken, people usually write it there, and you should too if you find something broken Wink