Question about frame rates, and speed.....
Question about frame rates, and speed...Just getting into this emulation thing, and really  sort of lost on a few things.
Got a new computer, so I am using my older one as an emulation machine. ..
Getting good results across the board with most games, but some games in PCSX2 are very choppy.
MLB The Show
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter are at the top of the list
Here is what I am running
AMD Athlon 2 635 2.9 GHZ
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 740
6 GB Ram
64 bit operation

I am wondering if a faster graphics card might help with Frame rate and sound stuttering...
You guys are the experts... what would you do?

Sponsored links

If this is your CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu...+II+X4+635&id=170
And this your GPU: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p...rce+GT+740

Then unfortunately you are going to have a rough time playing these three games.

A general trend is that sports games tend to be more demanding, which is kind of counter intuitive since they aren't necessarily the most ground breaking games in terms of how they look. But, that seems to be a trend anyways, from the number of comments I've seen about various ones having speed problems.

Ratchet and Clank, on the other hand, is one of the most technologically accomplished and difficult to emulate games for the PS2. At least, it is up there on the list of these. You're going to want a CPU that has a single thread rating (on that website I linked your CPU on) of around, at minimum, 1500, but even this will give frequent slowdowns and only treat the game well at calmer points. For the most demanding games typically a single thread rating of 2000 or higher is recommended.

Jak and Daxter is pretty much the same story as Ratchet and Clank.
(05-13-2018, 05:32 PM)Disney Rob Wrote: Question about frame rates, and speed...Just getting into this emulation thing, and really  sort of lost on a few things.
Got a new computer, so I am using my older one as an emulation machine. ..
Getting good results across the board with most games, but some games in PCSX2 are very choppy.
MLB The Show
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter are at the top of the list
Here is what I am running
AMD Athlon 2 635 2.9 GHZ
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 740
6 GB Ram
64 bit operation

I am wondering if a faster graphics card might help with Frame rate and sound stuttering...
You guys are the experts... what would you do?

In your case your more CPU bound the GPU bound, that geforce 740 should be able to to withstand most games on native (and probably some even with 2x/3x) but that CPU can't handle anything more then Disgaea i think...

With that setup i think that Dreamcast emulation is the max in terms of era, though ppsspp might work out as well actually.
I thought you said you got a new computer? You sure it isn't a tablet? That aside. Ratchet and Clank are rough game to run anyway.
MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
HDD - To many to note. NVEM, SSD and HDD
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10