Question about legality of stuff
(10-15-2013, 04:51 AM)KeepBotting Wrote: Putting that aside...again, my apologies.
no problem Wink
Quote:During my childhood I owned over $1,000 worth of PS2 assets--the most me or my family has spent on any entertainment system apart from the $1,200 72-inch Aquos TV my parents recently bought.

This collection included but was not limited to two consoles (a fat and a slim), two ethernet cards, eight DualShock 2 controllers, two Multitaps, a plethora of 8MB memory cards and over 100 games.
We also had a small TV dedicated to the PlayStation 2.
er... Maybe someone around here will be interested in this... who knows ?
Quote:And yet still, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, if one were to accidentally step on and break his favorite game (or his console o_O), he could be arrested/charged for piracy, by downloading a backup copy from the Internet?
"arrested/charged" ? no idea. It depends on the country you're living in. We apply UK law to keep this forum safe since it's hosted in UK. What happens in your country is none of our business.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

(10-15-2013, 04:57 AM)jesalvein Wrote: no problem Wink
"arrested/charged" ? no idea. It depends on the country you're living in. We apply UK law to keep this forum safe since it's hosted in UK. What happens in your country is none of our business.
It all seems very convoluted Wacko

This leads me to question the legality of PCSX2 itself. And how, if this is illegal, are the myriad of online ROM/game dump distribution sites allowed to exist, and offer direct downloads to illegal content? Does Sony even care that their games are getting ripped off, hundreds or thousands of times each day?
PCSX2 newbie since Feburary 2013 Blush
(10-15-2013, 04:51 AM)KeepBotting Wrote: No, stop, because I know the answer is yes. This leads me to question the legality of PCSX2 itself. And how, if this is illegal, are the myriad of online ROM/game dump distribution sites allowed to exist, and offer direct downloads to illegal content?

They may exist in other countries. They may not host the files themselves and just link to the files on one click hosting sites(like rapidshare and the like). They are kind of like drug dealers - for every one that gets shut down, two more pop up in their place.

Illegal or not - as long as there is demand there will be supply.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-15-2013, 04:59 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: They may exist in other countries. They may not host the files themselves and just link to the files on one click hosting sites(like rapidshare and the like). They are kind of like drug dealers - for every one that gets shut down, two more pop up in their place.
The plot thickens! Seems like there's quite a large grey area here...though not grey at all from the UK's perspective, as jesalvein pointed out, it's definitely illegal there.

I believe I understand now, thanks for indulging me.

(10-15-2013, 04:57 AM)jesalvein Wrote: no problem Wink
Also, the reason I included the list of my PS2 collection was to suggest that if I was to buy it all back, for the sole purpose of ensuring legality, the price would have been simply obscene.
(10-15-2013, 04:58 AM)KeepBotting Wrote: This leads me to question the legality of PCSX2 itself.
As said earlier, any emulator is legal as long as it's not shipped with some piece of copyrighted code. (again, remember Bleem's story)
Quote:And how, if this is illegal, are the myriad of online ROM/game dump distribution sites allowed to exist, and offer direct downloads to illegal content? Does Sony even care that their games are getting ripped off, hundreds or thousands of times each day?
I guess they do. And they have been trying to sue some of them. But it's an endless fight, As Blyss said
(10-15-2013, 05:01 AM)KeepBotting Wrote: The plot thickens! Seems like there's quite a large grey area here...though not grey at all from the UK's perspective, as jesalvein pointed out, it's definitely illegal there.

I believe I understand now, thanks for indulging me.

One last thing and then I'm going to bed. As far as Sony or the game developers are concerned they have to look at it like this:

Will we spend more money fighting these warez sites and shutting them down than we are losing to them? Ultimately it's a business choice. It doesn't mean they don't care, they are just basically cutting their losses when they choose not to go after a site.

However, from PCSX2 viewpoint it works like this: PCSX2 is a competitor to the PS2 hardware. That has been proven legal in courts before. As long as they follow the law, Sony can't do anything to them. But if they start condoning piracy or even simply turning a blind eye - Sony can get them shut down. THAT is why the rules about piracy are so strict here. To protect the project itself.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-15-2013, 05:08 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: One last thing and then I'm going to bed. As far as Sony or the game developers are concerned they have to look at it like this:

Will we spend more money fighting these warez sites and shutting them down than we are losing to them? Ultimately it's a business choice. It doesn't mean they don't care, they are just basically cutting their losses when they choose not to go after a site.

However, from PCSX2 viewpoint it works like this: PCSX2 is a competitor to the PS2 hardware. That has been proven legal in courts before. As long as they follow the law, Sony can't do anything to them. But if they start condoning piracy or even turning a blind eye - Sony can get them shut down. THAT is why the rules about piracy are so strict here. To protect the project itself.
Makes sense, I believe I understand fully now, thanks. And goodnight. I'm off myself, as well.
Oh, I had a thought.

This has not happened to me but:

Let's say you had a bunch of PS2 games, or any other software for that matter. You made ISO backups of the software, but no physical copies. Then all your originals got stolen. Obviously I wouldn't have any moral or ethical problem with using those backups, but would it be legal? If the software is stolen... is the license "stolen"? That's not the right wording but hopefully it makes sense.
(10-18-2013, 03:22 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Oh, I had a thought.

This has not happened to me but:

Let's say you had a bunch of PS2 games, or any other software for that matter. You made ISO backups of the software, but no physical copies. Then all your originals got stolen. Obviously I wouldn't have any moral or ethical problem with using those backups, but would it be legal? If the software is stolen... is the license "stolen"? That's not the right wording but hopefully it makes sense.

"grey area" to me. But technically, i think it wouldn't be legal since one licence is granted to one people. (in case of company licence, that "one people" is "the ompany")
(10-18-2013, 03:38 PM)jesalvein Wrote: "grey area" to me. But technically, i think it wouldn't be legal since one licence is granted to one people. (in case of company licence, that "one people" is "the ompany")

Plus any pirate who downloaded a bunch of iso could just say that happened too.

Even if you kept all your receipts you couldn't prove you didn't sell them at a yard sale or something.