Question about my PC specs to run PCSx2
Hi all! How is everyone doing? I want to know if anyone can help me with my question. I'm building a mid-end gaming PC soon. Mid-end-low end gaming PC. I am really excited. I am wondering if anyone can please help me here. Or give me advice or any tips. This is what I got. I am still farily new to the PCSx2 community! So I was wondering if anyone could give me on advice if my PC can run the emulator and my games that I "own" or not. Now I was told by a friend I can run games to a minimum on steam like Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. And World of Warcraft in minimum settings with no lag, etc. I can even play Fortnite... I was wondering do you guys think I can play some games like Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix with these specs? Especially with the Ryzen 2400g apu? I've seen people play Dolphin with Ryzen 2200g with 1080p along with 60fps. So I was wondering if its possible to play PCsx2 with the same specs. I heard some others got Ryzen 2200g working well with PCSx2. I really would love to play Final Mix with some mods. My games just collecting dust so I wanted to experiment. I just want to ask should I be able to play in 1080p with decent FPS? Along with .Hack//G.U and Fragment, etc? If anyone can give me information on how this works thanks! I'd appreciate it. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place or inappropriate. I just wanted to test Kingdom Hearts I and Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix + to see if the games work with the Ryzen 2400g. I heard really good things about it so I don't know if it would work with PCSx2 or not since i know most emulators like Dolphin and PCSx2 work with intel. Sorry if I went abit off topic here really nervous. Sad Thanks for advice if any. Smile Have a great day! ^_^

I have

Motherboard: Gigabyte ab350k-ds3h
ballistix sport 8gb
windows 10
1tbhd
Ryzen2400g apu

Sponsored links

The Ryzen 2400g is a reasonable enough CPU (especially if your board allows for overclocking) to handle a lot of PS2 games, though there will still be some games that will give it issues.

The biggest issue you are going to run into is PCSX2 has so so directX suppoort, no vulkan support, and AMD still has not released decent OpenGL drivers for Windows. So dolphin you can take advantage of Vulkan to avoid using OpenGL, but with PCSX2 you are looking at lower compatibility or performance hits due to relying on the integrated AMD graphics. So I am hesitant to state it definitively will handle any enhancements (internal resolution increases or other post process effect enhancements). Someone with a HD 7770 or R7 260 amd card would probably be able to give you a reasonable expectation of what you might expect.
(05-09-2018, 10:23 PM)TkSilver Wrote: The Ryzen 2400g is a reasonable enough CPU (especially if your board allows for overclocking) to handle a lot of PS2 games, though there will still be some games that will give it issues.

The biggest issue you are going to run into is PCSX2 has so so directX suppoort, no vulkan support, and AMD still has not released decent OpenGL drivers for Windows.  So dolphin you can take advantage of Vulkan to avoid using OpenGL, but with PCSX2 you are looking at lower compatibility or performance hits due to relying on the integrated AMD graphics.  So I am hesitant to state it definitively will handle any enhancements (internal resolution increases or other post process effect enhancements).  Someone with a HD 7770 or R7 260 amd card would probably be able to give you a reasonable expectation of what you might expect.

Thank you. So if I should to say for example. Could I play KH2FM with 1080p shader mods along with custom mods and boss fights? Should I have an issue or would I be fine? I should no issue at all correct? Along with Shadow of the Colossus with HD mods? These are mostly the games I'd like to play. Thank you for the reply. Smile I'm still new to PCSx2 so just wanted to make sure is all on how it works. Sorry if you already answered my question. Should I get a decent amount of 60fps as well? Thanks. ^_^ I'm considering going full max on 64gb for memory. Wondering if I should be alright. Thank you. Smile
Shadow of the Colossus is GPU intensive so I am not even sure if you will stay at full speed at native (PS2 native) resolution with no HD mods.

KH2FM you will have to switch to software mode in some spots to fix some lighting issues if I remember correctly but it should be playable with some enhancements (not sure how far you can push it with that APU) at full speed most of the time in the game. When you switch to software mode it will drop back to native (PS2 native) resolution, this is a part of how software rendering works in PCSX2 so those parts won't be upscaled.

Also I don't know why you would think more memory would help most emulators require a surprising little amount of RAM. Though for an APU like the 2400g I would highly recommend the fastest ram your Motherboard and CPU support since that is also your VRAM on a system like that.
Your proc is roughly in line with my 3770, and a step up from my 1950x (with an overclock on your part of course).

That said, you'll experience issues without proper ogl support. Using older direct x models, my rx570 handles most everything at 4-6x.. but the graphics aren't perfect.. they miss efects. I dont mind, some folks will.

SOTC - yeah, even my 3770 cant do that full speed all the time at 1060, and that is roughly where your stp should be.. bout 2100.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case