Question about varying performances
Because Window Vista uses up 1 of those GB just by getting boot up.

Besides I play a lot (mostly) computer games and I don't know if they would work as well with Vista.

Sponsored links

Uh I got 2 gb of ram and vista properly configured takes 700mb. So with PCSX2 running,I still got 1 gb sitting around doing nothing Tongue
If you're so afraid of using it,dual boot that's what I've done anyway.Although I ended up using Vista more than XP in the end hehe
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I was on that boat as well. Yes 4GBs is ideal for a vista system, but it reallocates itself depending on how much ram is in the system. Performance went up believe it or not when I switched between xp x86 to vista x64 in every single game I played. It may be a clunky OS, but it knows how to handle new age equipment and use it to its fullest. But yeah, I wouldn't get it unless you had 3GB+ and a fairly new dual core processor and a nice GFX card.

I have a 500GB HDD filled with computer games and emu's lol, I wouldn't be telling you this if it didn't have some truth to it. I've had xp since its release all the way until a year ago when I went Vista.
(02-09-2009, 07:46 PM)Bositman Wrote: Uh I got 2 gb of ram and vista properly configured takes 700mb. So with PCSX2 running,I still got 1 gb sitting around doing nothing Tongue
If you're so afraid of using it,dual boot that's what I've done anyway.Although I ended up using Vista more than XP in the end hehe

Dual boot is a good Idea, actually.
Could you tell of a good place where I can read how to do a proper XP, Vista dual boot.

Thanks
Maybe I'll do just that.

I'll upgrade to 4 Gb. And do a dual boot, just in case. That way I should have the better of both worlds.

And I also have a 500 GB HDD. Space shouldn't be a problem.

See you.
Quote:But yeah, I wouldn't get it unless you had 3GB+ and a fairly new dual core processor and a nice GFX card.

I seriously got NO idea why people recommend more than 2 GB of ram for vista.Except if you like to load your OS with tons of bloatware that take up all your RAM for no reason...although then your 2 GB wouldn't be enough for XP either.
I'm using it perfectly fine with anything I throw at it.The only thing that used up all my ram leading to a crawl in performance was Crysis Warhead,because of those HUGE memleaks it has...so obviously it won't happen with anything else.

About dual booting,I don't think you need a guide actually.Vista installation will detect your XP installation and handle it fine AFAIK
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(02-09-2009, 07:55 PM)Bositman Wrote:
Quote:But yeah, I wouldn't get it unless you had 3GB+ and a fairly new dual core processor and a nice GFX card.

I seriously got NO idea why people recommend more than 2 GB of ram for vista.Except if you like to load your OS with tons of bloatware that take up all your RAM for no reason...although then your 2 GB wouldn't be enough for XP either.
I'm using it perfectly fine with anything I throw at it.The only thing that used up all my ram leading to a crawl in performance was Crysis Warhead,because of those HUGE memleaks it has...so obviously it won't happen with anything else.

About dual booting,I don't think you need a guide actually.Vista installation will detect your XP installation and handle it fine AFAIK

But I can't install it in the same drive, can I?

Don't I need to install it in a new partition?
(02-09-2009, 07:55 PM)Bositman Wrote:

I don't know about others, but I say it as a safe line. Yes 2GB will be more than enough, but like you said about bloatware you have to have some knowledge about how to maintain your system and monitor it in case of these files. 3GB is enough IMO to have some bloatware and have Vista take care of the rest; good enough for the general public lol. Technically you could get away with 1GB and vista if you take a look at black viper's guide to services etc... Just depends on your level of expertise.

@ aarelovich

No as long as you do install vista THEN xp. I remember doing the vise versa and vista overrode a lot of XP's boot settings making it unusuable. Bositman is right, vista should take care of the rest if it's installed on the drive first.
yep you'll need only for state of the art games more than 2Gb ram with vista^^
(besides you can use more than 2Gb with a 64bit OS only)
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
I find that FFX work's perfectly but sometimes takes all my cpu while entering battles but not during them, Unfortunately the only other game I've tested is Kingdom Hearts, but you defiantly need to play arround with the settings for FFX.
My Spec's are:
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 3.0GHz
GPU:Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3
SPU:Intergrated Realtek HD Audio

Graphics: GSdx 890
Sound: SPU2-X 1.1.0
Controller: SSSPSX Pad plugin 1.7.0
Cdvdrom: CDVD 0.1.0
(02-09-2009, 08:03 PM)kabooz Wrote: yep you'll need only for state of the art games more than 2Gb ram with vista^^
(besides you can use more than 2Gb with a 64bit OS only)

You mean 3gb? ^^;;