Question about varying performances
Hello:

I've been testing several games now, some of them not even in the compatibilities list and a few doubts have come up.

The games that I've tried (that I like to ask about, at least) are the following:

Final Fantasy X
Another Century Episode 1
Gundam Seed Never Ending Tomorrow.

Now the the thing is that the first two work almost perfectly (I had at least one crash with the second and some cutscenes problems with the FFX ) but they are playable as far as I can tell (I just tested different options and put them on for a while, did not play much at all).

But what bugs me the most is that the third game goes very slow (25 fps approx. in the game itself, screens menus and movies are all perfect)

The other games have similar graphics (ACE specially) and they go fast...
So why do certain games behave that poorly, when a similar game like ACE works so well... Becuse It's no the only one, all SRWs I've tried --and I've tried them all of the ones that came out for the PS2-- also slow to crawl in map areas except OGS which also works almost perfectly.

I was wondering mostly because, if the games works, it works with every option in the graphics and CPU configuration windows and if it doesn't it behaves just as bad not matter what options I choose, I don't even get 1 fps variation....
So I guess my question is if this is normal? Or if this is odd? Is this because the emulator is still in need of work or what?

Just to clarify, I'm not complaining. I'm just curious, because there is chance I'm doing something wrong or that there is something I don't know.

My System specs just in case:
Inter Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
2 Gb RAM
MSI GeForce 9600GT 1 Gb DDR3 @ 800MHZ

Emulator version:
PCSX2 Playground (Stable NOT Beta)
with GSDX SSSE3 0.1.14 as graphic plugin.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored links

I'd imagine that they use different parts of the PS2 despite looking similar. My guess is ACE uses parts of the PS2 that PCSX2 emulates well while Gundam, despite looking similar, uses parts of the PS2 that aren't as well emulated.
Well, that would be great.

Because it means that maybe the continuing work will probably make them playable, without having to change my computer.

I'll try the beta emulator and plugins.

Thank you for your opinion.
This has been answered before in various other threads, but I'll sum it up either way.

Different games have different variations of Sony code implemented in them that have been thought up by creative developers and third party companies. When you have so many games from so many different people, it makes it hard to write one set of instructions that pleases all of this random, hacked, creative, interesting unique code that has been made. So simple games like FFX run great because there's not much modification, complicated games like (whatever game runs slow atm) are hard to emulate because the emu doesn't know how to take the code that its reading. If you tick an option and it doesn't affect the game means that option isn't causing the slow downs, its something else.

The best thing you can do is search in google or this forum for the game title and pcsx2 and you'll see different people with different configurations that managed to run it at its best. Over time when PCSX2 gets better the games will run better.

Hope this helps.
Hi:

Not only, it helps but it was actually what I was hoping to hear.

Anyways, There aren't that many options to configure, I prefer to just try them out and see the results for myself. Using someone else's configuration on my machine won't really help if our machines are different.

Thanks for the reply.
NP. You'd be surprised as far as other peoples configs helping, but either way I find it fun to tinker around with the emu to see what results I get before I give up and search for an answer lol. Every game has ran playable for me though except PoP2 and XGIII
You have better luck or have tried very different games than me.

Here is a list of the games I've tried
FFX - Playable
All SRW (ecxept OGS, and Impact) -- Playable but some with graphic glitches and all of them with terrible slowdowns during use in maps. Impact crashed.
SRW OGS -- Playable almost perfect. Only problems with movies.
Xenosaga Episode I -- Graphic Glitches (Not what really bugs me). I can't achieve playable speed.
ACE 1 -- Movie problems. Playable as far as I could tell
Gundam Seed Neverending Tomorrow -- Pefectly emulated, but I can't achieve playable speeds.

As you can see either you have better luck or a better machine that me.
Could I ask you to tell me what games have you tried. If I can get my hands on them I can see if I can make them work, too.

Thank you.

PD: I don't know how to search for configurartions and from my list I think you'll realize that I'm not interested in exactly all of the more popular games...
Xenosaga episode I is playable with vista and DX10 ticked in GSDX. Otherwise you'll be unable to get playable speeds using DX9.

Shadow of the Collosus ---> playable 50+ FPS DX9 + speedhacks
XGRA ---> playable 60 FPS DX9 FPS limit option ticked ZEROSPU2
FFXII ---> playable 60 FPS + no speedhacks DX10 zerospu2
Dragon Quest VIII ---> Playable 50-60 FPS
Castlevania lament of innocence ---> Playable needs logaramithic Z ticked + speedhacks
FFX ---> playable
Dirge of Cerberus ---> Menus and Ingame otherwise not playable.

Can't remember the rest lol I'm not near my machine or my games atm. All the games I mentioned with the expection of the squeenix and XGRA have issues with the shadow rendering and nothing you can do will fix it. If you want some SS's of my setup give me a PM and i'll show you. Did you try the compatibility list in the PCSX2.net site?
(02-09-2009, 06:49 PM)darkt123 Wrote: Xenosaga episode I is playable with vista and DX10 ticked in GSDX. Otherwise you'll be unable to get playable speeds using DX9.

Shadow of the Collosus ---> playable 50+ FPS DX9 + speedhacks
XGRA ---> playable 60 FPS DX9 FPS limit option ticked ZEROSPU2
FFXII ---> playable 60 FPS + no speedhacks DX10 zerospu2
Dragon Quest VIII ---> Playable 50-60 FPS
Castlevania lament of innocence ---> Playable needs logaramithic Z ticked + speedhacks
FFX ---> playable
Dirge of Cerberus ---> Menus and Ingame otherwise not playable.

Can't remember the rest lol I'm not near my machine or my games atm. All the games I mentioned with the expection of the squeenix and XGRA have issues with the shadow rendering and nothing you can do will fix it. If you want some SS's of my setup give me a PM and i'll show you. Did you try the compatibility list in the PCSX2.net site?

Yeah I have tried the compatibility list. Both the Gundam Seed game and Xenogears (the ones I wanted to play most) are listed as playable.
It's too bad that I need directx10 because I absolutely do not wish to use Windows Vista. I guess then I'll just won't be able to play them. That is too bad. Besides the 2 Gb of RAM that I have will be of no use If I "upgrade" to Vista. I guess I'll just have to either wait until I change my system or there are some performance improvements in the emulator.

Thanks for the help.

XGRA, is that Xtreme Grandia? How do games work on Linux if this emulator works better with DX10?
They work...just no one said how well lol. No XGRA is extreme gravity racing association. Vista isn't so bad, you just need a decent system to handle it is all. Just go get the copy of windows 7 from the website; they might still be giving away free betas if the servers are up, but I doubt it >.>. Why will your 2gb of ram not be usefull in vista?