Question regarding "Piracy"
Alright so I have a Question regarding playing ps2 games on my pc
First of all I don't own a ps2 console anymore BUT I do own a ps3.
so 1) Will playing Ps2 games on my PC be considered illegal if i do infact own the original copy (FFX)? 2) Before you tell me to play it on my ps3, well for some odd reason none of my ps2 games work on my ps3 besides Yakuza and FFXII. 3) I know this isn't the place to ask this but if anyone knows anything regarding this can someone help me fixing this issue instead of going through all of it to get it to work on my pc. 4) I checked some discs and only few minor tiny scratches were found on some.

Sponsored links

In my opinion, If you dont have ps2 console, you will not have your own bios of ps2. You have limited use your own bios until your console to be sold or stolen or already gone.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
You must own a PS2 to use the emulator legally
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
The above 2 answers are correct. Owning a PS2 emulator (of any sorts) does NOT give you the right to use a BIOS downloaded from the internet.

Just to clear that up, it doesnt mean its allowed even if you do own a PS2 Wink

The only legal thing you can do is to dump your own BIOS from a PS2 which you own.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I can't understand why would anybody ask about such a thing.

You should figure out yourself what's right or not and act accordingly.
(02-11-2009, 03:14 PM)matsuri Wrote: I can't understand why would anybody ask about such a thing.

You should figure out yourself what's right or not and act accordingly.
While that may be how you may feel about it, the law is the law. Simply defined, that since the BIOS is copyrighted and owned by Sony, any distribution of it is considered illegal. The bottom line is the only copy of a BIOS file that anyone is entitled to is one they've dumped from their own console, period. Besides, dumping a BIOS isn't that hard. I dumped mine from my slim model and it took a matter of 3 minutes at the most and isn't very complicated.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM in Triple Channel | GeForce GTX 285
2.5 TB Hard Drive Space | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Official betatester of PCSX2
(02-11-2009, 10:21 AM)Cyparis Wrote: Alright so I have a Question regarding playing ps2 games on my pc
First of all I don't own a ps2 console anymore BUT I do own a ps3.
so 1) Will playing Ps2 games on my PC be considered illegal if i do infact own the original copy (FFX)? 2) Before you tell me to play it on my ps3, well for some odd reason none of my ps2 games work on my ps3 besides Yakuza and FFXII. 3) I know this isn't the place to ask this but if anyone knows anything regarding this can someone help me fixing this issue instead of going through all of it to get it to work on my pc. 4) I checked some discs and only few minor tiny scratches were found on some.
This is somehow complicated because it depends on education and most importantly experience of judge in the field. I have experience in PC on demand design, HW repairs, and in SW architecture/design/research, and I'd view a BIOS as an integral part of HW. In fact, there is a precedent when one European company patented something very similar to BIOS. Software isn't patentable.

Basically Sony lost the case when they allowed to dump a BIOS on the HD.

Now if you thrown a PS2 into a trash, a license to a bundled software doesn't disappear after destruction of original device. You can use all your PS2 games. BTW if you desperately need a PS2 BIOS, it's a $5 expense, the only trouble is, it's not a merchandise.
PS3 doesn't have the emotion engine in it anymore, but last I heard they're making a PS2 emulator for the PS3, the ps2 bios in no longer included in the ps3, THAT is why your ps2 games don't work on the ps3
I'm glad I dumped my own bios... Anyway... I really have my doubts that the majority number of people do really use their own bioses Tongue
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

(02-11-2009, 09:36 PM)Gentleman Wrote: I'm glad I dumped my own bios... Anyway... I really have my doubts that the majority number of people do really use their own bioses Tongue
well, not everyone has the hardware. (I mean to dump one)