Question's regarding new PCSX2
So i've signed up because of the new ps2 emulator 0.9.6 to ask some questions.

I've noticed things got alot smoother and better. I would apperciate if you could provide some answers to the following.

1. Does the pcsx2 only utilize the CPU in terms of rendering more fps ? ( because it looks like the gpu is barely being used to help assist getting more frames )

2. I also noticed selecting a different video graphics render in the configuration that it affected my fps performance. So my question would be what is the best known graphics render atm superior to all others? ( I believe the GSDx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.14 is the default one the pcsx2 0.9.6 uses )

I guess that's it my specs are

core i7 4.0+ ghz
2 gtx 285's
6gb of ram

So i guess those 2 questions would be very interesting, hopefully the gpu does get fully utizlied then i would pursue enabling sli to work with it. So far i only done quick tests via nhancer and no boost at all even though the indicator states it is on. So it seems like only the cpu is doing the calculations.

Appreciate the responses

Sponsored links

1. Not only the cpu but mainly, yea.

2. latest GDSX is imo the best plugin (Software mode is accuratest, with your rig it should play games with high fps). Well, otherwise Hardware mode is faster.

Sli is not usefull imo, the emulation comes straight from raw cpu power.(High ghz, not cores/ht). But with your rig you should get high fps in nearly everygame(60+).
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
I doubt they would bother with SLI because so few people use it, but no, the emulator does use your video card if you are using the right plugins...but it is still a very processor heavy program, a good video card will help though.

And for your PC you should be using GSDx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE41) 0.1.14 since your processor supports SSE4.1. When configuring that plugin, you should have the renderer set to Direct3D 10 Hardware since you have a DX10 video card. And I heard that XP users should use Direct3D 9 Hardware since it only supports DX9.
(03-26-2009, 06:20 PM)neb0dy57 Wrote: So i've signed up because of the new ps2 emulator 0.9.6 to ask some questions.

I've noticed things got alot smoother and better. I would apperciate if you could provide some answers to the following.

1. Does the pcsx2 only utilize the CPU in terms of rendering more fps ? ( because it looks like the gpu is barely being used to help assist getting more frames )

2. I also noticed selecting a different video graphics render in the configuration that it affected my fps performance. So my question would be what is the best known graphics render atm superior to all others? ( I believe the GSDx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.14 is the default one the pcsx2 0.9.6 uses )

I guess that's it my specs are

core i7 4.0+ ghz
2 gtx 285's
6gb of ram

So i guess those 2 questions would be very interesting, hopefully the gpu does get fully utizlied then i would pursue enabling sli to work with it. So far i only done quick tests via nhancer and no boost at all even though the indicator states it is on. So it seems like only the cpu is doing the calculations.

Appreciate the responses

PCSX2 is almost entirely CPU dependent. As far as I know, the graphics card is only used for things like texture filtering and using the VRAM for actually displaying the resolution. The CPU is the one that really renders everything, and it's why having a strong CPU is so important. With that processor, I believe you should be able to use the GSDX10 SSE4.1 which is definitely the fastest. Overclock your processor as high as you safely can for the most speed, as PCSX2 only utilizes 2 cores unless you want to use the much slower software mode.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Since you're using the i7, I'd suggest you try the following for potential speed gains.

Set Processor affinity for pcsx2 i.e. allot it the 3rd and 4th cores so that it can run at maximum possible speed on your pc. as the OS might be using the first 2 cores for its functinlity and other applications. (its just a perosnal guess since I cant try it, i'm on a c2d)

Try the graphics rendering in s/w mode. as somebody on another thread suggested it uses all the cores that MIGHT lead to speed gains.
Finally.

If you prefer speed gains over accuracy, you might want to stick the first PlayGround edition of PCSX2 (with all cheats/hacks on), so you can play at much faster speeds than what the current beta/stable releases have to offer.
yeh. Please oc the i7 @ 4.0+ ghz. It's not enough!

\o/
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
(03-26-2009, 06:43 PM)yunsabit Wrote: yeh. Please oc the i7 @ 4.0+ ghz. It's not enough!

\o/

You can never overclock your computer too high! Mwuahaha
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
I'll test some of the things you guys are mentioning. As for the other comments below. Sli isn't really useless since that can be forced via the graphics driver and doesn't need to be supported via pcsx2. However since you are confirming that pcsx2 is purely cpu dependent i guess a single card would be useless as well apart from the vram and filters as mentioned above.

I'm wondering would there be a plan to add gpu support in the intermediate future of pcsx2 or is it just going to be completely cpu bound.

Also what do you mean by accuracy of the game? Personally i would like to play the game at full glory and detail as was originated for the ps2. Do you mean like stuff cut out?

Also one final thing i notice some games still have graphical glitches what not, do you people intend to make the games 100% replicated correctly? For example like gta liberty city stories has lots of different anomalies i was just wondering for future reference.
The Software Mode is actually the furthest developed. Well, for many game the HardwaremodeDX10 is completly okay. For others, it isn't.

You can try to play in the Software mode(With ht enabled, 7 threads for SW, 1 left for pcsx2). I bet it's awesome with an i7@4ghz. Well, for games who don't run at 60fps+ try the hardware mode. You'll get high fps, sometimes/some games over 100+.

Your rig is wounderfull for pcsx2. No speedproblem. Nothing. NP! Just play.

\Edit:

For the Glitches, Try the Software Mode. I bet the glitches are gone.