Questions about CPU/GPUs and running PCSX2 at high graphical settings
I'm considering building a PC and PCSX2 is probably the highest-demand thing I'd be using.

I remember reading once that emulation is largely CPU-dependent. Do I need a good GPU for running PCSX2 games at high settings or is that work still done via the CPU?

The CPUs I'm torn between are an AMD A10 7850k and Intel i5 4460.

The former comes with a pretty good GPU onboard but I'm not sure how PS2 emulation is handled, if the GPU is particularly important, etc, or if an AMD processor would be good.

I've never built before so all of this is pretty new to me.

Sponsored links

The i5 with a gpu will be far better than the A10.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert
(04-24-2015, 09:24 PM)Dyshonest Wrote: I'm considering building a PC and PCSX2 is probably the highest-demand thing I'd be using.

I remember reading once that emulation is largely CPU-dependent. Do I need a good GPU for running PCSX2 games at high settings or is that work still done via the CPU?

The CPUs I'm torn between are an AMD A10 7850k and Intel i5 4460.

The former comes with a pretty good GPU onboard but I'm not sure how PS2 emulation is handled, if the GPU is particularly important, etc, or if an AMD processor would be good.

I've never built before so all of this is pretty new to me.

Don't get me wrong CPU is important with PCSX2 but so is RAM and so is the GPU...
Lets say you want to play dynasty warriors 4... alright this game is very heavily cpu dependent seeing as AMD gives you nearly the same multicore performance as Intel i5's with the new FX series 6300 - 8350... I would suggest a 6300 which is a 3.5ghz 6 core cpu which works great in every scenario and you can pick them up on ebay for cheap $80-120 deppending on your budget as you would be spending far less then for an intel rig that offers only a small performance increase that you wont need imo you should suit up with a *Nvidia 660ti $125.00~ which would give you enough to also help support ps3 emulation with rpcs3 and you would be able to run pretty much any game wither it be cpu or gpu dependent on PCSX2 @ 60 fps I would also suggest adding in at least 4gb of ram preferably @ 1600

*I would suggest this card especially if you plan to double res or plan to go 4k
Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz @ 4.8ghz 1.41 v
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 @ 1866
With emulation you really need to look at the STP (Single Threaded Performance) of a CPU. The AMD A10 7850k gives you a 1578 score at stock speed. Almost the same as my CPU. It will run most things without a problem. Still can't run Tekken Tag at full speed though.

The I5 4460 gives you a 1960 at stock speeds. Much better. I would say get it. I would. You will have a much easier time with PS2 emulation without having to OC like I do to get that massive 10 point STP boost.

GPU- anything really above a Nvidia x50 ti will do fine. Not to many games really beat the crap out of GPU. There are some that do of course.Xenosaga, ZoE etc.

My conclusion. Get the intel since it is just better for emulation and things in general. Another advantage of intel is wattage. I pump lots of watts and heat with my "AMD that could." I run a Nvidia 760 and there are only a very select few games that give it trouble..
MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
HDD - To many to note. NVEM, SSD and HDD
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

^
have to agree with JobeStroud. I have an i5 4440 and it just kicks ass in PCSX2. It would take an FX chip at 5Ghz to match it's STP.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Actually nobbs. Your CPU, stock, still out does mine. I can run my 5 GHZ just my power supply really lacks the power. Even with my 4.9 OC I am still about 100 short of yours stock. Damn you AMD... I like my CPU just for emulation and other single threaded operations if just fails at life. lol
MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
HDD - To many to note. NVEM, SSD and HDD
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

(04-25-2015, 01:45 AM)JobeStroud Wrote: With emulation you really need to look at the STP (Single Threaded Performance) of a CPU. The AMD A10 7850k gives you a 1578 score at stock speed. Almost the same as my CPU. It will run most things without a problem. Still can't run Tekken Tag at full speed though.

The I5 4460 gives you a 1960 at stock speeds. Much better. I would say get it. I would. You will have a much easier time with PS2 emulation without having to OC like I do to get that massive 10 point STP boost.

GPU- anything really above a Nvidia x50 ti will do fine. Not to many games really beat the crap out of GPU. There are some that do of course.Xenosaga, ZoE etc.

My conclusion. Get the intel since it is just better for emulation and things in general. Another advantage of intel is wattage. I pump lots of watts and heat with my "AMD that could." I run a Nvidia 760 and there are only a very select few games that give it trouble..

Yes... though the intel will cost him a bit more and the performance difference isn't great enough imo to warrant an intel... seeing as a FX has more then enough single threaded power to exceed anything needed by PCSX2.... really need to look at performance per $... unless you can afford not to care..
PCSX2 is largely dependent on single core performance. That A-10 will not be up to snuff and neither will an FX chip for all games. Some games will run on weaker hardware like the A-10 but you can forget anything CPU dependant like Zone of Enders. Also, about the FX line (and people suggesting the 6300) an fx 8350 may outperform or perform on par with a lower end i5 overall but the i5's single core performance is so much higher that they are not even comparable.

If you intend to use PCSX2 to it's fullest extend then the i5 is your minimum.

You'll also want to pair a decent GPU like a 750ti or an r9 270 with it unless you don't intend to ever play beyond the original resolution.
(04-25-2015, 03:15 AM)bomblord Wrote: PCSX2 is largely dependent on single core performance. That A-10 will not be up to snuff and neither will an FX chip for all games. The fx 8350 may outperform the i5 in overall performance but the i5's single core performance is so much higher that they are not even comparable.

If you intend to use PCSX2 the i5 is your minimum.

You'll also want to pair a decent GPU like a 750ti or an r9 270 with it unless you don't intend to ever play beyond the original resolution.

Based on personal experience.... I have not found a game that does not run at least @ 60fps with an FX paired with a 660ti.... I would have to disagree that an I5 is the minimum needed...
(04-25-2015, 03:21 AM)desertofunknown Wrote: Based on personal experience.... I have not found a game that does not run at least @ 60fps with an FX paired with a 660ti.... I would have to disagree that an I5 is the minimum needed...

Zone of Enders, Valkyrie Profile 2, Killzone? You can run all of those with a stock fx 6300?