Questions about Speed
So hello all I am a new user and my pc specs are 2.5 ghz dual core intel. 256mb nvidia gddr3 graphics card and 4 gbs of ram. Anyways so I know that we aren't supposed to ask when the next release will come out so I am not asking that. Just wanted to clarify. Anyways I have a few questions. Does each release make the pcsx2 go faster on that computer with the same game for every release? Also if this is true, for example, hypothetically by release 1.5.1 or whatever will most ps2 games be able to run at near 60fps on my very weak comp that i posted specs for above?

BTW nice to a part of the PCSX2 community!

Sponsored links

no. it won't. it might even up the needed specs, cause an emulator always walks on the fine line between compatibility and practicability. the more compatible it becomes the more resources it will need. there is without a doubt still some room for improvement, but all ps2 games with steady 60 fps on your rig? no.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(06-27-2009, 02:37 AM)zero29 Wrote: no. it won't. it might even up the needed specs, cause an emulator always walks on the fine line between compatibility and practicability. the more compatible it becomes the more resources it will need. there is without a doubt still some room for improvement, but all ps2 games with steady 60 fps on your rig? no.

so what is that talking about when i hear that the emulation thread or whatever "has increased by 3-5%" and so on?
(06-27-2009, 02:44 AM)Solid Snake Wrote: so what is that talking about when i hear that the emulation thread or whatever "has increased by 3-5%" and so on?

i never said that there is no potential for additional speed improvement, but behind those speedups are always specific reasons. like e.g. the dreaded "ati texture bottleneck" slowdown, which was fixed in the latest beta revisions of gsdx. but there aren't millions of slowdown bugs in pcsx2 preventing you from playing ps2 games at full speed on your pc, ps2 emulation on a pc is just that slow. according to the devs the main reason for ps2 emulation to work at all is because it makes heavy use of speed hacks like e.g. the dynamic recompilers for the vus. every major improvement of the compatibility of pcsx2 will mean more resources needed to run it at full speed, cause it will have to replace such a hack with more precise but slower code. it's no coincidence that the dev team currently tries to enhance the threadability of the emulator to take advantage of more than 2 cores.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403