Questions about multicore and running pcsx2 on ps3
they will...... someday ... but not now Smile
i5 430m 2.26GHz 2.53GHz Turbo / ATi Mobility HD5650 @ 450/800 1Gb GDDR-3 / 6GB DDR3 / 500Gb HDD + 1Tb USB 3.0 / 17" 16:9 LCD / Win 7 x64

Sponsored links

Bositman:

Is that a "no we're not working on it now!" or a "we're never gonna do such a thing"?
cause I'm sure I read that somewhere BY one of the devs.
There are more important things to do rather than making 4 cores being used.

Things such as , making games compatible and fixing major bugs.
Quote: "no we're not working on it now!"

and thats how it's staying until we decide otherwise Wink
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

We experimented with adding quad core support. The experiments were largely failures. I was able to get some decent speed and compatibility improvements in the interpreters, but that simply didn't translate well to the recompilers. Since interpreters are tons slower than recs even with quad core abilities, there wasn't much point or purpose to continuing the experiment.

It might be possible yet, using higher level emulation techniques, to multithread the VU1 micro. But that's complicated and will require a largely stable and finished VIF/VIFunpack/VU system ... and we're really not there yet. Plus even if it does work, you can only expect a few fps improvement, and only in a few specific titles (depends on how much they use the VU1, and how they use the VU1, when using it).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Thanks everyone for your responce.
Thanks Air for explaining.