Questions about save state slot and Xenosaga I
Question 
Hi. I did a search and couldn't find the answer, so here we go.

But first of all, thanks very much for pcsx2. I test it since version 0.4 whenever I can (oh, that pong was freaking awesome... and slow lol) and I finally got my hands on a decent machine to run it properly (a E5300 at 4Ghz). I just don't usually post asking for help or giving some help because I think I know how to search and my english is kinda poor, respectively.

Now, the question. I hope one of the devs can answer me:

Is that hard to code an on-screen save slot indicator (i.e. like ZSNES's) so we can know in wich slot we are saving without the need to going windowed and reading at the console window? Just wondering why there is not one in pcsx2 yet. Maybe some special reason, I don't know why, but I would like to.Tongue

This is not a complaint, I must say. It's just my curiosity. I'm pretty happy with the actual development state of pcsx2.Smile

And a second question (but not so important): Is it possible to run Xenosaga episode I on my 4GHz machine (and a nvidia 9600GT) at full speed with one of the many pcsx2 builds? Atention: I don't mean decent speed. I mean full speed all time (90% of the time at least), even if it means I have to use all the speedhacks. I mean, wich one is the best for this pretty hard task? Xenosaga has been a beast to run for ages, maybe mainly because of the way the graphics render in this specific game. Is it a beast to run in todays days yet? (Bositman, where are you? ^^)

Thanks in advance for the answers. And thanks for the hard work all the team put in pcsx2 day by day.Laugh

Sorry for my bad english.

Sponsored links

About the second question yes, it's quite possible since I am playing the game right now in my 2.4ghz and I admmit, it's quite quite playable (48-60fps, maybe slower on certain attacks during battle). Sure you will get awesome speeds on anything higher. I don't use microVU, neither EE cycle or cycle steal hacks, so if you want to go that way, you'll probably get even better speeds. And I play at 1280x800 internal res.. so give it a try, with the latest beta installer in the downloads section (PCSX2 r1888)
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
Thanks for the replay on the second question, dotHack. I used to test xenosaga quite often, since my old cpu was a bit slower for that particular game on older builds. So I stopped testing around build 1000 and got back now with the 1888. But to be honest, I didn't tested Xenosaga yet, because I'm afraid of the results. I always had trouble to run it in the past, as so as most of people. Besides that, I was playing God of War 2, finished it a couple of minutes ago, runs like butter on r1888.

dotHack, could you please post your pcsx2 setup (how you configure the emulator) to achieve the desired results with Xenosaga I ? I mean fullconfig (pcsx2 cpu, plugins, which versions of then and how they are configured). Do me this favor, please? I know is a bit too much, but I didn't get used yet with the new options since build r1000. Thank you very much in advance.Happy

Ok here I go!

This is my actual configuration for almost every game I play and so far no problems, but bear in mind I play mostly RPG games, and when some game needs a specific game hack, that must be activated (like persona games or tri ace games).

[Image: pcsx1.th.jpg]

[Image: pcsx2.th.jpg]

[Image: pcsx3.th.jpg]

[Image: pcsx4.th.jpg]

[Image: pcsx5.th.jpg]

This are just 3 screenshots in-game (windowed to take the screenshots), just check, the game plays at 60fps mostly, even in battles, but when some effects appear on the screen, it goes down to 55, 50, 48, according to screen position and effect, BUT thats with 1280x800, if you check native resolution (third screenshot shows it here), you get 60fps =] of course I hate native so i always play at 1280x800, even if it slows down a bit. My laptop specs are on my signature, my 3d card is a bit weak, if I had say the same rig but with a better 3d, I think this would've been faster. Anyways, hope this was helpful!

[Image: game1a.th.jpg]

1280x800:
[Image: game2f.th.jpg]

Native:
[Image: game3.th.jpg]
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
Thanks again, dotHack. I'll give it a try.

ps: I also hate native resolution. When there is no way to run a game at a higher res, I prefer to play it on my ps2, of course. ^^

Sorry for the double post, but I'm still waiting for an answer for the first question? Any dev could answer that please? Thanks.

About Xenosaga...Well, it seems my GPU is botlenecking pcsx2 in this game. GSdx indicates almost 99% of load even if I use native resolution in the first real-time rendered scene some times. And I have a 4GHz cpu. I think there are too much polygons to render, its more then my VGA can handle. Oh boy, It seems I'll have to buy another VGA. I had to switch to r1058 so I can use VUSkip to play at decent speed.

Yes it is. It needs a whole overhaul of the plugin specs. Then any plugin that wouldn't get updated to the new specs wouldn't even run on the emulator. Gsdx in particular has no support for overlaying anything on it's display window either.So it looks simple but it's far form it.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Thanks very much for the reply, Bositman. Really appreciated. Smile

rodiablo, how many fps do you get??? As i said I play xenosaga just fine with my specs on a laptop. Your 4Ghz and 9600GT should be more than enough, even remember than a 9600GT or 9800GT is more or less more than enough for pcsx2 because this program (pcsx) is VERY cpu intensive but not so much GPU intensive. Perhaps your "pentium" dual core isn't enough for it... I don't know the differences between a pentium dual core and a core 2 duo but I think there lies the problem... perhaps. I know pentium dual cores aren't as good as Core 2 Duo...
dotHack, You're kinda right. Pentium Dual Cores aren't as good as Core 2 Duo. In fact, pentium Dual Cores are based on Core 2 Duos, like they are C2D with less cache. But there is another diference between C2D and PDC: only C2D (peryn and above) has SSE4.1 instructions set. I don't think this makes such diference because I asked Bositman in the past about it, and the answer he gave to me was: "Go with the higher clock". That's what I did. But unfortunely its not enough. Or maybe there is something pretty wrong with my rig. I just don't know what it is. The only thing that came to my mind is my DDR2 running at 800MHz while the FSB is at 300Mhz. But, as long as I remember, PCSX2 doesn't require fast memory. Like you said, clock matters much then any other thing.

I don't know what to do. Sad Can you help? Or anybody?

Oh, by the way, when I test Xenosaga, I usually test by running the first realtime rendered scene of the game, where Shion is talking with KOS-MOS inside the encefalon (the test site) after KOS-MOS host separation FMV. To get there, just skip the first and second FMV and wait for the KOS-MOS host separation in the third scene (or press TAB until then).

I attached two screens. If you have time, could you please run the test above and take screens like mine's at the same places so I can compare my setup with yours? I know I'm asking a litte too much, but it will be pretty helpfull. And it seems Xenosaga is not a so popular game, not too much people testing. But I LOVE that game.Tongue