Questions re: PCSX2 1.6 (and a note of thanks) ...
Hi to everyone and the PCSX2 developers:

First, "thanks" for this long-awaited release.  Looking forward to improved game experiences on PCSX2 1.6.  I do have four questions:

1. Has hardware acceleration been improved for this release?  I play in software mode most of the time because that's the most "compatible" mode.
  2. For software mode, how many rendering threads should I use?  Leave it at the default value of 2?  Or can I crank it up to 3?  (I have an i7-2600k.)
  3. Have any unplayable games in particular been fixed for 1.6, specifically?  Like how "True Crime: Streets of LA" works now?  Any other notable games?
  4. Has performance in general been improved for this release?  For example, can I expect an improvement in FPS for games in software mode now?
I think that's about it.  Re: # 2 above, if it helps, I play using the "safe" preset settings (which comes as the default setting in PCSX2, anyway).

Looking forward to getting my questions answered.  "Thank you" again to the developers of PCSX2.  Glad to know my donation helped.

Cheers; stay healthy to everyone.  Crazy times nowadays.

Sponsored links

(05-08-2020, 01:34 AM)Omnimaxus Wrote: Hi to everyone and the PCSX2 developers:

First, "thanks" for this long-awaited release.  Looking forward to improved game experiences on PCSX2 1.6.  I do have four questions:

1. Has hardware acceleration been improved for this release?  I play in software mode most of the time because that's the most "compatible" mode.
  2. For software mode, how many rendering threads should I use?  Leave it at the default value of 2?  Or can I crank it up to 3?  (I have an i7-2600k.)
  3. Have any unplayable games in particular been fixed for 1.6, specifically?  Like how "True Crime: Streets of LA" works now?  Any other notable games?
  4. Has performance in general been improved for this release?  For example, can I expect an improvement in FPS for games in software mode now?
I think that's about it.  Re: # 2 above, if it helps, I play using the "safe" preset settings (which comes as the default setting in PCSX2, anyway).

Looking forward to getting my questions answered.  "Thank you" again to the developers of PCSX2.  Glad to know my donation helped.

Cheers; stay healthy to everyone.  Crazy times nowadays.

1. Depends? What game, what was it doing prior? There have been a multitude of fixes that's certain.

2. As many as your system can handle though be aware the limit of effect stops around 6 iirc?

3. None. We took a 1.5 build and changed the name

4. See above
Thanks for responding.  Gotcha re: everything you said.  But for software rendering, what would the ideal number be for my CPU?  Am curious. EDIT: Anyone? (Thanks.)
(05-08-2020, 05:58 PM)Omnimaxus Wrote: Thanks for responding.  Gotcha re: everything you said.  But for software rendering, what would the ideal number be for my CPU?  Am curious.  EDIT: Anyone?  (Thanks.)

Take the number of hardware threads on your CPU, subtract two (for the EE and GS emulation threads). If this number is greater than six, then stop at six.
(05-08-2020, 06:21 PM)pandubz Wrote: Take the number of hardware threads on your CPU, subtract two (for the EE and GS emulation threads). If this number is greater than six, then stop at six.

Thanks.  I know the i7-2600k has 8 threads, so obviously it'd be 6 for PCSX2.  OK - again, thanks.
Sorry; a follow-up question (last one) - what would the benefit of extra rendering threads be, exactly? An increase in FPS? Thanks again.
UPDATE: I did a bit more of digging, and saw a good tip online - disable the framelimiter in PCSX2 while in-game, then play with the thread count.  Stop going higher when you hit a number that degrades performance.  Looks like 4 is the "magic number" for me.  Disregard my other question above re: the benefit of extra rendering threads.  Thanks.