Questions regarding compatibility with i7-7740x.
So I'll be building a new computer in the next few weeks, and I'm deciding on what CPU to get. Currently, I'm deciding between the i7-7700k and the i7-7740x. They're very similar in performance, but only the 7740x is compatible with the motherboard that I want. 

My concern is that the 7740x has no integrated graphics. I don't think this would affect hardware-mode rendering, since my build will have a dedicated gtx 1080 graphics card, but I'm unsure how it will affect games that only work in software mode. Does anyone have any experience running pcsx2 on systems without integrated graphics? 

Thanks!

Sponsored links

Why are you going for i7-7740x , that's basically a downgrade from the 7700k (since the igpu is disabled)and you will be paying more for the motherboard. Plus you won't get any of the x299 capabilities like quad channel ddr4 , some pcie slots will be disabled.

Either go with intel z270 i7-7700k or amd am4 r7 1700

The i7 has higher ipc than the 1700 but less cores and threads.

edit: as for pcsx2 you will be using the dedicated gpu so there's no need to worry about anything at all.
The igpu can be used if you don't have a dedicated gpu but that is irrelevant here (unless you have other uses for the igpu like quick sync)
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
(07-16-2017, 11:28 PM)lightningterror Wrote: Why are you going for i7-7740x , that's basically a downgrade from the 7700k (since the igpu is disabled)and you will be paying more for the motherboard. Plus you won't get any of the x299 capabilities like quad channel ddr4 , some pcie slots will be disabled.

This. Well, I don't know about downgrade, they are essentially the same CPU, but that shiny motherboard you want? yeah you won't be able to use any of those extra features when paired with that CPU, it is the most pointless CPU ever, you may as well spend the extra couple of hundred and get one of the proper chips for it so you can take advantage of its features if you're going to do that.

If you're just gaming however, it isn't worth the extra money, so as lightningterror said, go for a Z270 board and a 7700k, you will be much better off. Or the Ryzen 1700 if you want to save some cash and still have pretty good performance.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

My main reason for looking at the 7740x was that it was compatible with the MSI X299 SLI PLUS board, which is only $250. A similarly-capable z270 board is about $100 more, so I figured it would be better to go with an x299 compatible processor, since I wouldn't be using the quad-channel RAM or more than one PCI-e slot.

But my question had to do with pcsx2 in software-mode, where the dedicated gpu is irrelevant. Does software-mode still rely on the processor's integrated gpu, or is it totally dependent on the primary core(s) of the cpu.
Software mode doesn't use any sort of GPU no, it is purely a CPU load.

Just out of curiosity what features of the MSI X299 SLi PLUS board are you wanting to use?

Mostly it's 9 usb ports, which on all the z270 boards I had found would cost at least $350.

But it's a mute point, because I've found a $250 z270 board with 9 usb ports, so I'm going with that one. Thanks though!
Well you can get an Asrock Z270 board for $140 with 8 USB ports (if you plug in the front header), if you really need that extra one, you could spend another $12 on a USB 3 hub.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6813157746&cm_re=z270_motherboard-_-13-157-746-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6817659002&cm_re=usb3_hub-_-17-659-002-_-Product

There, I just saved you $100 Tongue

I also agree on skipping out on the 7740k. If you never plan on using Quad Channel or getting an i9 at some point, it's a waste, honestly.
The i9 itself is kinda a waste too.... basically Intel has some issues comming up since they have multiple market segments that they wish to sell to but they don't want to cannibalize those different lines.

Already the power creep of the budget line (Pentium) has already made the lower end mainstream line (Core i3) a pointless extra expense. Intel is afraid of the upper part of the enthusiast line cut into the server grade line (xeon). So things like core counts and PCIE lanes have to be carefully managed. The problem is that then the power creep from the high end of the mainstream line (k series i5/i7) start to make the lower end of the enthusiast line pretty worthless (or overpriced at the very least).

To be fair Intel has kinda done this to themselves, since while they had market dominance they did little to innovate in the market segments that are now having these issues. At the low end where netbooks failed they had far more progress (atom line) then the mainstream core line.
(07-17-2017, 12:17 AM)bwm1021 Wrote: But my question had to do with pcsx2 in software-mode, where the dedicated gpu is irrelevant. Does software-mode still rely on the processor's integrated gpu, or is it totally dependent on the primary core(s) of the cpu.
The SW renderer will use the use the GPU that is connected to your screen to display a nice picture Tongue2 PCSX2 isn't aware if the said GPU is integrated or not. Lots of people still don't have an (useless) iGPU.

(07-17-2017, 07:11 AM)TkSilver Wrote: To be fair Intel has kinda done this to themselves, since while they had market dominance they did little to innovate in the market segments that are now having these issues. At the low end where netbooks failed they had far more progress (atom line) then the mainstream core line.
You're not fair. Intel did a lots of innovation (architecture & fabs). However, you can't have anymore a factor 2 between each generation. And it is the same for all CPU vendors. However they can do better on the price.