Quick computer specs question
Curious as to why my computer can't play PCSX2 at full speed without the aggressive preset setting.. (hits about 40 fps on normal settings, full speed on aggressive)

specs:
Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.66GHz (stock cooler so not about to oc)
NVIDIA Geforce GTX280
4GB ram
win7 ultimate x64
PCSX2 0.9.8 (maybe I should try a dev build)

Sponsored links

Take advantage of extra cores of your processor with SVN builds of PCSX2, MTVU... Tongue
also, no system is able to "play pcsx2 at full speed", it heavily depends on the game(s) you emulate with it. some are easy, some don't reach 60 fps even on modern quad core systems.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
zero29 Wrote:also, no system is able to "play pcsx2 at full speed"

Some very latest Overclocked Models do play pcsx2 quite well and with full speed at Native, with Speedhacks, frameskipping.

It should have been no system (with default settings)
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
Just tried out the MTVU hack here...helps system hit 60fps, although its inconsistent at keeping that framerate, especially in FMVs (testing in Jak 3)

Back to aggressive preset I guess.
(07-05-2012, 06:38 PM)recoder Wrote: Some very latest Overclocked Models do play pcsx2 quite well and with full speed at Native, with Speedhacks, frameskipping.

you don't play pcsx2, you emulate a game with pcsx2. my point is that emulation speed not only depends on your system and pcsx2, but also heavily on the game you emulate. it's absolutely normal that even overclocked core i5/i7 don't achieve full 60 fps in some games. so, extradessert shouldn't worry about his system's performance unless the game he tried was an emulation lightweight like ffx. and i don't want to argue about semantics, but 100% emulation speed achieved with speedhacks/frameskipping is "playable speed", "full speed" is 60 fps without any hacks. especially the term frameskipping should make it very clear that you won't get full 60 fps emulated with it.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
Only the PlayStation 2 console system is able to play all PS2 games at full speed. Laugh The framerate may drop in some game, but the speed is always full.

/to extradessert Your CPU clock speed is a little low. Any recent Intel CPU @ 3.0 Ghz or above is recommended.
I figured the clock speed is a little low.. but with stock cooler not doing much with the CPU till I put aftermarket cooler on...
what game?
(07-05-2012, 06:38 PM)recoder Wrote: Some very latest Overclocked Models do play pcsx2 quite well and with full speed at Native, with Speedhacks, frameskipping.

well to play every game without ANY single drop in FPS

you need 7GHz dual core