RATCHET AND CLANK: UP YOUR ARSENAL - FREEZING [SOLUTION]
So quite recently I have been playing around with the newer Beta builds of PCSX2 1.5.0 that allow MipMapping so I decided that now was a great time to play Ratchet and Clank games. All was fine and smooth until I got to Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. Anyone who has played this on PCSX2 knows the dreaded horror’s of planet Daxx and Blackwater City. The game will freeze at any given moment in combat or when certain enemies die/appear and it has been nothing less than hell to figure out. I was stumped for a while. I tried changing speedhack levels, submitting my save file for review, and also used the EE hack that prevents these crashes and nothing worked. Well as it turns out, it was something so simple. TURN OFF WIDESCREEN PATCHES when you play R&C: UYA. It instantly fixed for me and I have even noticed a slight performance boost. Idk how widescreen patches relate to the crashing but I had zero issues once they were shut off. I hope that the devs can figure out the underlying issue with the WS patches.

Sponsored links

Can you post your emulog? I'd like to see what version of the game you're using. Another user with this issue said disabling WS patches doesn't fix the issue (it didn't work for me either iirc).

Also, do you get any specific errors in the console when the game crashes? If so, please post them here as well.
Moved to general support. Not a bug report.

You might want to mention this at the widescreen patches thread: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Wi...#pid581682

Maybe someone can fix the patch.
(02-26-2018, 09:54 PM)CK1 Wrote: Can you post your emulog? I'd like to see what version of the game you're using. Another user with this issue said disabling WS patches doesn't fix the issue (it didn't work for me either iirc).

Also, do you get any specific errors in the console when the game crashes? If so, please post them here as well.

I’ll post it the next chance that I get.
Just keep in mind widescreen patches and cheats in general are tampering with game memory. You're always going to risk arbitrary crashes if you try to make a game do something it's not built to do.

Also, the entire Ratchet and Clank series has built in widescreen support, why not just use that?
(02-27-2018, 04:23 AM)pandubz Wrote: Also, the entire Ratchet and Clank series has built in widescreen support, why not just use that?

The original Ratchet and Clank lacks any built-in widescreen support, and the later games' widescreen modes are Vert- - cropping the screen to 16:9 without expanding the view to the sides.
Widescreen patches fix this (at the cost of a performance hit and potential bugs).
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
Are you sure? I thought WS patches never caused a perf hit? Ohmy
(02-27-2018, 06:55 PM)CK1 Wrote: Are you sure? I thought WS patches never caused a perf hit? Ohmy
WS renders a larger section of the world, so it can come at the cost of performance. Though it rarely has a noticeable effect on the performance.
(02-27-2018, 06:55 PM)CK1 Wrote: Are you sure? I thought WS patches never caused a perf hit? Ohmy
In certain scenes the impact can be pretty significant:

59.25fps 4:3 | 48.62fps 16:9

The built-in "widescreen mode" in the later games provides a small boost to performance (I've seen up to ~10%) vs. 4:3 mode.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
(02-27-2018, 11:07 PM)Dreadmoth Wrote: The built-in "widescreen mode" in the later games provides a small boost to performance (I've seen up to ~10%) vs. 4:3 mode.
That's because it reduces the rendering area. The R&C series has some of the most demanding games for PCSX2, so it's no surprise it has one of the most noticeable differences.