Random FPS drop is FFX [Need Major Help!]
edit: I can't since im on an alienware and AW's bios don't support hyperthreading.

Maybe PCSX2 is acting like this because my laptop has been on all day? could that be a factor?
(04-07-2011, 06:55 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: Actually I can clearly tell it's not in slow motion since it says Normal in the screenshot. Did you try setting interlacing to none? That's the only thing left worth trying.

BTW, while disabling hyperthreading may help performance in other cases, it won't help here at all since it's not a CPU problem. If the EE was going at 100%, that's when messing with the CPU would help.

and it is in slow motion, trust me (well, slow motion as in the FPS dropping all the time now) and even the sound, and everything goes along with it of course. but as my above post says, could it be that my laptop is kind of hot? could that be a factor?

Sponsored links

No. If the EE% is reaching max, it means the CPU is pushing it's max potential. Just because the EE% isn't maxed out, doesn't mean the CPU is not the source of the slowdown. Trust me.

And interlacing is not gonna cause slowdown here, I guarantee it.

Download something like HWMonitor and see what your temps are up to.
@ Rez
the only reason I'm suggesting the interlacing is because it says "1/2 fps" in brackets. Surely that means it would force the game to run at half FPS, which is exactly what is happening? I can't really agree with you until you explain why it wouldn't cause slowdown, you can't just say no and expect people to jump to your side.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
then i really don't know what's going on. If you guys have AIM, my AIM s/n is "FIy Like a G6" (the L in Fly is an i) and you can control my laptop via Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) and see if one of you can check it out hands on.
@ Larfin_Man:
Smile I understand. Well, I can't say with absolute certainty why it says "1/2 fps" there, but my educated guess is because that's about the effect of it on the FPS (that being 0.5fps, not halving the fps). How can I "prove it"? Well, it's the setting I use most often with PCSX2. It certainly doesn't slow me down. Also, there's a reason that the settings for the CPU benchmark state that the setting for interlacing has no effect on speed.
If anyone can help, let me know. (Help via Teamviewer) If not ill just turn off my laptop, head to bed and after my classes tomorrow ill see if it starts to slow down again.
@ Rez
Your 0.5fps makes sense. If that's what it actually means, they should probably change it from "1/2 fps" to something like "0.5 fps drop" =P

@ Rei
I was looking at your 360 controller thread and you didn't really get back with whether you tried Shadow Lady's suggestions or not. If you tried them, did they help?
And what did the results from Core Temp report specifically while you had PCSX2 running during a slow down. PCSX2 has to be actually running, not in suspended mode while you look at the Core Temp settings.
As for setting the affinity, I'm thinking that if you set it to only the first 2 cores, that should hopefully let turbo boost (the CPU ability, not PCSX2 =P) kick in and make it run faster.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
(04-07-2011, 07:27 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: @ Rez
Your 0.5fps makes sense. If that's what it actually means, they should probably change it from "1/2 fps" to something like "0.5 fps drop" =P

@ Rei
I was looking at your 360 controller thread and you didn't really get back with whether you tried Shadow Lady's suggestions or not. If you tried them, did they help?
And what did the results from Core Temp report specifically while you had PCSX2 running during a slow down. PCSX2 has to be actually running, not in suspended mode while you look at the Core Temp settings.
As for setting the affinity, I'm thinking that if you set it to only the first 2 cores, that should hopefully let turbo boost (the CPU ability, not PCSX2 =P) kick in and make it run faster.

I did the CPU 0 and CPU 1 thing, and im sure that didn't work either.

So, if you're able to help, i'll be on tomorrow. I'm just shutting this laptop off to give it a rest.
If you want, I could see about doing that Teamviewer thing with you tomorrow. I really don't have the time tonight, myself. Sorry. Sad

Just a thought: Have you ever tried running PCSX2 "as Admin"?
Sounds like typical turbo boost issues with i7 CPUs. Download and run CPU-Z and while its running boot up your game and get into a battle. Check what clockspeed cpu-z reports at that moment and if it fluctuates when you leave battle or reenter.
[Image: newsig.jpg]